Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 18, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quiet Radio Shack Lab-58
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 7:24 pm 

Hi everyone, i am brand new to this site. I was given my mothers record player a Radio Shack Realistic Lab-58. i originally had it hooked up to a brand new receiver and the music was quiet, i assumed because i needed a preamp since there was no phono input. But i have switched setups and purchased a craig stereo with phono input. The music is still quiet when it is turned all the way up. Putting it in the tape input makes it a little louder. The radio works fine on it. So my question is do i still need a preamp even though it has a phono input? Or does something else need to be replaced.
Again i am new to record players and there components.
Thanks
Kgordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 7:53 pm 

It's quite possible that the Craig receiver has a Ceramic phono input. If that's the case, you'll still need a phono preamp since a ceramic cartridge produces a much higher output than a magnetic cartridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 9:37 pm 

Yes...you will need a pre-amp
-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 10:14 pm 

Before you buy a preamp, you should see how much they cost. Chances are you can pick up an older and higher quality receiver with a magnetic phone stage on CL for less than a new preamp. Don't invest any extra into keeping something like a Craig in your system. The LAB 58 is a later BSR, and while not a high quality machine it was a bit better than the earlier Realistic BSR changers. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 10:35 pm 

so would i still plug into the phono input or does it not matter after the preamp? also i dont want to spend a ton of money, any suggestions for around 30-40 dollars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2009 10:43 pm 

You'd plug the turntable into the preamp input and the preamp output would go to the AUX or ceramic phono input of the receiver. If the turntable has a ground wire, you'll need to make sure it's connected to the ground screw on your amp. Don't go hog wild on an expensive preamp. For your purpose, one of those $20 or less jobs should work. Or, you could find an older receiver from the '70's or '80's (Pioneer, Technics, Sansui, etc) with a magnetic phono input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 11, 2009 12:36 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
....... Or, you could find an older receiver from the '70's or '80's (Pioneer, Technics, Sansui, etc) with a magnetic phono input.

I'd vote for that....you might have better results.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 12, 2009 6:05 am 

I would have to say the same thing - go for a decent used receiver from the late 60s to early 80s with a phono input. For $40 or less you can get a really good receiver via Craigs List these days. I would add Onkyo, Nikko, and MCS as brands to keep an eye out for. The Pioneer SX series is wonderful. You could buy a receiver that would be fantastic for about the same as a new phono preamp. If you love vinyl, you could upgrade your turntable later too.