Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 23, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Victor R-15 and RCA Victor 816K - David and Goliath
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 4:03 am 

From David to Goliath - or - Out of recession in 7 years. Here are the restoration reports:
The 1930 Victor R-15:
http://www.greenhillsgf.com/Project_Victor_R-15.htm
and the 1937 RCA Victor 816K:
http://www.greenhillsgf.com/Project_RCA_816K.htm

Please correct me if I made mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 4:18 am 

Chris,

You do some wonderful work. I am very impressed. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Dave

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 4:23 am 

Nice sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 6:22 am 

Nice, very nice. I have an 816K that I will be starting this winter and I hope it turns out as good as yours. What wories me the most is the tenite plastic on the escutcheon.
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2009 6:37 am 

Ed Jacobs wrote:
... What wories me the most is the tenite plastic on the escutcheon.
Ed

As I said, mine had a crack from shrinking and half of the 12 screws were pulled out of their holes. I had to drill some new holes, glued the crack with crazy glue and resanded the split. Fortunately the curved dial glass lens is attached to the tenite frame in a way, that can accommodate shrinking of the latter. I wonder if you have the Armchair Control? Or if your chassis has the receptacle for the remote connector?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 30, 2009 11:41 am 

Sorry :(
Nice radios, but really Chris, it's late and I was looking at your Craigslist ad.

How can you call a radio electronically repaired, the original paper caps are still in one you show, with electrolytic caps a poor slop in.

The Philco 70 you say has the original caps? MINE DOES TO, and it works! But I wouldn't tell anyone it was "restored".

I have high standards I guess, would much rather buy a totally dead set than a pretty and overpriced "working" one.

Good luck with your old radio business, you can afford to buy some awesome sets, you polish them well. Over the last few years I admired your radios, and saw the catalin collection you own at a show last year.

But the under chassis pics of your radios for sale, my advice, leave them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 30, 2009 11:50 am 

Sorry :(
Nice radios, but really Chris, it's late and I was looking at your Craigslist ad.

How can you call a radio electronically repaired, the original paper caps are still in one you show, with electrolytic caps a poor slop in.

The Philco 70 you say has the original caps? MINE DOES TO, and it works! But I wouldn't tell anyone it was "restored".

I have high standards I guess, would much rather buy a totally dead set than a pretty and overpriced "working" one.

Good luck with your old radio business, you can afford to buy some awesome sets, you polish them well. Over the last few years I admired your radios, and saw the catalin collection you own at a show last year.

But the under chassis pics of your radios for sale, my advice, leave them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 30, 2009 11:58 am 

Sorry about the double post ??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 30, 2009 8:48 pm 

alsaudio wrote:
How can you call a radio electronically repaired...

In the Philco 70 writeup I said "....The chassis has been electronically serviced..."

alsaudio wrote:
the original paper caps are still in one you show, with electrolytic caps a poor slop in.

Which radio are you referring to? Sometimes I say "... capacitors were replaced when necessary." The DeForest "Park Lane" for example was working flawlessly without replacing any of the wax capacitors. I hesitate to replace them all, but give a replacement warranty for local buyers.

alsaudio wrote:

In the Philco 70 writeup I said ... all original Philco bakelite capacitors were ok, the filter condensors have been replaced by NOS types and mounted underfloor. Inactive Philco condensor shells have been installed on the chassis' top.
In a Philco 90 I had to excavate the bakelite capacitors and replace the innards by modern caps and resistors. In catalin sets I often do the same thing with the elcos too.

alsaudio wrote:
....[I]... would much rather buy a totally dead set than a pretty and overpriced "working" one.

Me too! But what about the many people who want a living set? My wish prices can be negotiated.

alsaudio wrote:
.....But the under chassis pics of your radios for sale, my advice, leave them out!

I think showing the under-chassis picture is a quick way to summarize the degree of an electronic restoration and the general condition of the ugliest part of a chassis.

Thanks for your comments, did we meet at the Croatian Center?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 01, 2009 12:10 am 

Fantastic restoration work Chris! Very tastfully done. That RCA 816K is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 01, 2009 1:23 am 

Quite a few sales plugs on the links. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 01, 2009 3:18 am 

Hi Chris,

We've met on a few occasions, you used to be at the Vancouver flea market a lot, but most memorable to me was a show in New Westminster where your catalin sets were on display.

I had never seen one in person before, and was truly impressed, that's for sure! :shock:

As to the electronic restorations, I have been messing with vintage electronics over 30 years now. Some of my earlier repairs did involve minimum parts replacement, and a few came back for servicing later.

I don't sell my sets, but have given at least a dozen or so away to people as gifts, especially when the flock gets to thick. Some get used daily, some sit and are just ornaments, and a few, I'm afraid to ask what happened to those ones.

Last week I gave a nice bakelite Silvertone "basket weave" set to a neighbor, completely restored, and I notice he is listening to AM a lot now!

Anyway, I restore audio gear, mostly guitar amps, and here's a case in point.
Serviced a early "60's amp, real nice one, but for cost reasons didn't bother with the filter caps. The unit was quiet and working quite well, and as usual there was not any easy place to put new ones anyway, other than on a perf board mounted under the chassis.

Sold it to a fellow at a good price, all was well, or so I thought! Two weeks later it was back buzzing like crazy! Should have done those filters! How many times till I learn! All coupling and bypass caps were new, so I thought I'd get away saving a few bucks and some time, after all it was my amp, and at the time wasn't planning on selling it anyway, but having bought a few more, decided to get rid of that one. In the end the new owner is happy, I just wish I'd been more thorough in the first place.

My theory is, if A 50 year old paper capacitor is still working, and now gets put into daily use, surly its life will be short, and from experience leaky for sure. Even though the set works fine, there will be a noticeable improvement when they are replaced. I've done 4 radio chassis in the last few weeks, 3 worked, and one had a fried power Xformer.(had a spare from the junk box)
Usually I replace 3 caps at a time, and then test, before doing more, to avoid mistakes. I always notice improvements as they are done, and can measure resistors at this time as well, because the ends are unsolderd usually anyway. Amazing thing is most resistors are close enough in value, and can be left alone, but rarely have I come across a paper cap that when replaced didn't improve the radios reception or audio in some way.

One radio I've had over 30 years now and although it has always worked, I have not restored the chassis because the artwork on the components is just so nice, and yellow or orange caps would ruin it. So finally I think I can do a nice restoration by chucking the parts in my lathe and boring out the centers, thus new ones can be stuffed in.Looking forward to using that set with no fear of letting the smoke out!

Right now there are 5 radios on the go, 3 are to be given away, the other two I'm keeping. I use my sets daily, depending on which room I'm in or what station one is tuned to. Makes for a very satisfying hobby, have no idea how I ever got started, but seeing my old sets displayed in someones home years later is sure neat.

To be sure, there is a lot more to a restoration than getting the thing working. Consider the work involved in the cabinets;

[/img]http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l417/alsaudio/P1000737.jpg[img]

Anyway, keep up the nice work Chris, but watch out for those little paper capacitors!