Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 24, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Our old sets may still have a future after all
PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2005 9:26 pm 

Landed on this surfing just now... <A HREF="http://wcpo.com/external/dwym/1fbccc3c.html" TARGET=_blank>http://wcpo.com/external/dwym/1fbccc3c.html</A> <P>------------------<BR>A set with too many tubes is... just enough!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2005 5:09 am 

Ok, let's bet on which on will exit first. Analog tv or analog radio broadcasting, namely AM radio.<P>------------------<BR>Tony

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2005 9:58 pm 

Ok, so the networks will still broadcast dtv over the air just like now? Now if we can get the cable networks to do the same. <P>------------------<BR>Tony

PostPosted: Aug Mon 15, 2005 12:07 am 

Just think all those low income people who do not have cable and use rabbit ears will have to get a converter box that they can't afford , and those that do have hdtv sets most have cable or satelite or whatever , now as far as am radio going out the window thats just as bad , collectors of radios will be unhappy , car radios , portable radios all useless . seems to me theres enough room on the airwaves to do hdtv signals and leave the regular ones on too , think of all the bands barely in use now due to the 800-900 mhz fad .<P>Mike<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Mon 15, 2005 10:10 pm 

It's an Apples vs. Oranges comparison. With Television, the analog broadcasting will cease completely, but with AM radio, stations will continue broadcasting the analog signal along WITH the digital signal. When noise and interference cause a total loss of the digital signal, so-called "High-Definition" radios will default back to the analog signal. When the digital signal is re-acquired, the receivers will automatically switch back to the digital signal. At least, that's the way it is SUPPOSED to work.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Tue 16, 2005 6:35 am 

I am waiting to see when analog TV goes off and these converters<BR>become available, the cable companies will probably tack on extra<BR>fees for a fund to supply the converters to low income families.<P>They did the same thing with the phone lines and the Internet so they<BR>could put computers in the schools and low-income.<P>I don't have cable.. and don't expect to get it. It's just not worth<BR>the money. I can get close to 15 channels off-air.. plus the off-air<BR>HDTV from all that are transmitting it now.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Tue 16, 2005 9:59 pm 

I'm of the same mind. I Don't have cable and don't want to pay for all of that either. Got better things to spend my money on. I like the magic and sometimes challenge of receiving both tv and radio broadcasts thru the ether. Thing is, some things I used to like to watch are slowly disappearing. With Wide World of Sports and others, used to be a lot of boxing on tv. Not anymore. Also, this year, no more Tigers baseball games, one of my favorite things. Being in the Detroit area, near Canada, is an advantage though. At times, the only stuff I see worth the honor of being watched on one of my tube tv's is Canadian. What IS Canada going to do on this subject anyway?<P>------------------<BR>A set with too many tubes is... just enough!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2005 9:02 am 

DVD's and their associated players are so cheap I really don't care what happens to broadcast or cable TV...<BR>However I am eternally grateful for the FCC and RETMA back in the postwar era when they forced RCA to keep their color TV forward and backward compatable with older black and white. Without which the antique b&w sets would have been long gone...(as are the days of an FCC with any authority)<P>------------------<BR>If it glows in the dark and heats up the house, it's MY kind of radio...

PostPosted: Aug Wed 31, 2005 3:41 pm 

I don't have cable, satellite or any of the bank account draining conduits to the idiotslantern either. I get 11 channels on my antenna which is fine. Our household is bombarded with offers for cable and satellite hookups. In Canada the CBC has a mandate to provide cross country access to programming in analog into the foreseeable future.<BR> My mom always called the TV set the "idiotslantern"-I don't know where she got that one from.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Wed 31, 2005 5:02 pm 

Does Canada have the same scheduled mandatory analog TV sunset like the US does?<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Thu 01, 2005 4:33 am 

I've been researching this topic and can't find anything about the Canadian Radio and Television Commission discontinuing analog TV signals.<BR> If it can't be picked up by my antenna for $0 I won't be watching.<BR> There are some articles in Canadian newsgroups about HDTV not being a hot seller and how this is a detriment to the expansion of digital tv in Canada. <BR> I'd like to know more about this.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 03, 2005 2:32 am 

It is encouraging that standards converters exists to convert NTSC and other formats to CBS color, as demonstrated at the Early Television Foundation. I'm sure we will be able to "convert" DTV signals to NTSC in the future when analog broadcasting ceases. <BR> Many people are probably unaware that they might (will) have to buy boxes to be able to watch TV. Big money in those frequencies that will be auctioned by "THE GOVERNMENT".