Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 26, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New London 901A - documentation?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 20, 2010 11:51 pm 

Anyone have any documentation that they can share? Did a search here, and found some old posts by Jimmie Stewart indicating that he had some papers. Do you Jimmie, or anyone else, have them in electronic (pdf/djvu) form, by any chance?

For those who don't know, it's a transconductance analyzer that looks something like this:

Thanks,
Trent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 3:56 am 

I wish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 5:59 am 

Trent
Of the laboratory-grade tube testers made the New London 901A is the best tube tester.

Take this from a guy that has over 120 tube testers. I need sell some of them one of these days.

Mine came with the Installation & Operation Manual 18 Pages, Replaceable Parts List, 3 Pages of Wiring Schematics & a Sale Pamphlet for all New London Products.

What is the serial number of your? Mine looks (from tags on it) like Delco was the first owner.

What I’m looking for is the set up Test Conditions Book tells test conditions for each tube.

I will make a copy of all of it this week PM me.

Alan
It is nice.

Jimmie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 1:27 pm 

I live near New London, Connecticut... With all the Military and their support businesses in the area, I don't think there are any in the area.. I've looked..

Maybe this summer in a yard sale ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 2:20 pm 

Keep checking those yard sales... I found mine in a shabby antique mall. The woman who owned the booth was there and commented that she was sick of it taking up all her space and begged me to take it off her hands for next to nothing.

Jimmie. Thanks for the offer; PM sent. The serial number on mine is 684-260. Don't know if it makes it early or late, but I notice that mine has an unmarked knob that is not on the one pictured at Vacuum Tube Valley.

In the 'you get what you pay for' department, it's not presently working. Has a few burnt resistors, and I haven't yet identified the short that caused them. In its current state, I get usable fil, cathode, grid and suppressor voltages. No plate voltage and a fixed (not-adjustable) 700 v on screen. Jumpering the burnt resistors and powering up at reduced voltage on a variac wakes up the plate voltage, but the screen is still goofy. Those two resistors are dropping way too much voltage, and my replacements would burn up again if I left it on for more than a couple seconds.

It's been on a back burner for a couple months, but I'm getting the itch to dig in again.

Trent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 7:47 pm 

Jimmie-

What other New London products are listed in that sale pamphlet?

I only know of them as a second-source manufacturer of Panoramic military panadaptors during the last months of WWII.

A scan of that sales pamphlet would be of interest.

--Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2010 11:32 pm 

Trent
Your 901A looks to be an early unit. Mine looks like the one pictured at Vacuum Tube Valley.

Alan will tell you model numbers on Tube Tester does not mean much. May be they use the same base cabinet, take the RCA 100A 3 all most differ testers same Model number. Some times I think that A=differ.

Chuck
Most of the New London Products do looks like a second-source military manufacturer.

Jimmie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2010 1:31 am 

I recall my URM-25F generator is a New London, and I assume they did the redesign.

Yes, the WT-100 was drastically redesigned just two years after it was introduced, and in another three years was overhauled again. Even that last one was far from perfect. Designing a lab model tester is a lot harder than it looks.