Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 30, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: pooley phonograph
PostPosted: Feb Mon 01, 2010 1:37 am 

Hi. I'm new to the forum.I just picked up a Pooley phonograph and I can't find an id tag anywhere on the outside.It is a handcrank model with a pull out and slide under speaker door.And a door that opens to the side with small shelves for record storage.It also has a small metal sliding rod on the side to control the volume.I am new to machines this old and would like to know more about it. I love the sound,I just have to find more 78's.Any info will be greatly appreciated.I will try to post some pics in the next few days,but bear with me I not quik with the computers
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 01, 2010 1:40 am 

Hello. I wish I could help you but you are in a territory that I am unfamiliar with. But the reason for my reply is to welcome you to this Forum. You will find many helpful and knowledgeable people here and hopefully, you will soon find the answer to your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 01, 2010 1:51 am 

The Pooley Furniture Co. made many aftermarket cabinets for radios in the 1920s. They were established in the 1890s and made cabinets for the first Victrola machines in 1906.

They got into the business of building phonographs during the boom after WWI. Their phonograph parts were supplied by outside vendors, as with many companies that got into building phonographs during this time. I have two Pooley phonos, one upright and one horizontal. Both have motors that were made by Saal and date to the early '20s. Your machine probably dates to this time period as well. As for quality, I'd call them about average for the time period, maybe slightly on the "cheap" side. Definitely not high end, but not bottom of the barrel either. My upright Pooley looks to be a copycat of a Victor Victrola X, which was the least expensive upright Victrola.

I'm sure vitanola or one of the other phono guys on here will be able to tell you a little more.

PM me for my email address