Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 25, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capehart Colortone
PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2010 3:19 am 

Normally I just haven't been interested in rado/phono consoles. However, I ran into this 1955 Capehart Colortone 52PH65M console at an antique shop I'm looking at, and it has some features I like. In addition to an unusual appearance, it has AM/FM and the record player, and what appears to be an early graphic equalizer arrangement on the front. Also has not one but two 15" speakers and two tweeters. Push-Pull 6V6 output. And it's quite a bit narrower cabinet that other large consoles I've seen. Just don't have the room for those. Anyone have any experience with one of these, play good, sound good?

http://books.google.com/books?id=GCMEAA ... rt&f=false

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2010 5:27 am 

Kevin,
I have no idea about the quality of that particular unit but I have a 400 series console and I would venture to say that it out performs 99% of anything of that year, previous years or following years. There may be something else that sounds a good, but I would have to hear it to prove it....
My Capehart has excellent output, quality, tone and is a real a$$ kicker.

I cannot believe that, although smaller, this one would have the same quality and performance...on a slightly smaller scale.
If the price is right, I would not pass it up.
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2010 1:14 pm 

The antique shop is probably asking too much Kevin. But if the price was right I wouldn't pass on it. It depends on condition of the record changer and just what you have in mine for it. It's standard fare for the time, many produced the box style. And the amplifier and speakers are decent for the intended purpose. When I get anything I take the position of accepting it for what it is for when it was. Ever note how some guitar players go on about those little 8-inch speaker 3 or 4-tube amps? For me it's that attraction of a having something like it was from a time I enjoyed very much.

Bill J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2010 4:21 pm 

If it's priced at what you're willing to pay, and you like it, go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 08, 2010 1:54 am 

Thankyou for the views Jeff, Bill & Radio. I'll try to make it to the store for a closer lookover this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2010 8:06 am 

I have a table top version of this and really would like to have a matching console.

I would like to purchase this if you passed on it, or if you bought it please let me know I would be interested in it.
Thanks
Todd