Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 01, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Simpson Model 260 Series 6 VOM
PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 7:47 am 

I've acquired a Simpson 260 Series-6 VOM that was DOA but I figured probably only needed a fuse. Wrong! I checked the 1-amp fuse in the battery/fuse compartment as well as the internal 2 amp fuse under the printed circuit board and both tested good. I downloaded a copy of the operators manual from Simpson.com for a slightly later version of the Series 6 VOM but it did not contain (and their website did not offer) a schematic for this instrument. Although this is not a new meter I learned a lot from ones just like it and I'd like to salvage it if possible. Any suggestions for trouble shooting? I notice what appear to be a couple of diodes on the PCB but I'm reluctant to start pulling the components apart for out-of-circuit testing if there's something obvious I'm missing.<P>As always, thanks for your help.<P>Allan<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 8:09 am 

Hi Allan<P> Before you go through a lot of work make sure the meter movement isn't open. Connect a 1 1/2 volt battery in series with a 100K resistor across the internal meter connections. The meter should move.<P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 8:18 am 

Somebody here must have a schematic for the model 6.I certainly would not even consider giving up on this,period. VOM's are not terribly hard to service.<BR>Asuming a good meter movement and all functions dead you have automatically isolated the problem to whatever components effect all functions simultaneously.<BR>Shouldn't be hard to trace.<BR>Malcolm<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 8:24 am 

Allan<BR>Schematic is on the way<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>Intelligence is the ability to use your knowledge

PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 10:40 am 

Thanks for the replies (and the schematic, Dave). Norm's suggested test of the meter Movement itself seems on the mark - I got nary a jiggle out of the meter needle when crossing the internal terminals with 1.5V in series with a 100K resistor. Guess I'll have to watch eBay or the local flea markets for a working movement if I want to save this one.<P> Thanks again to all - it's WAY past my bedtime!<P>Allan<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Mon 03, 2003 9:07 pm 

An open meter is very rare. I'd look carefully for a bad solder connection or something, inside the meter case.<P>------------------<BR>

Post subject: Re: Dead Simpson Model 260 Series 6 VOM
PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2012 10:11 pm 

Most times, somebody measured some AC in the resister ohm mode. It blows out some resisters. In mine it was R17 (1.095K) and R18 (138ohms). Of course, neither is available so I had to build with series and parallel resisters to come pretty close.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2012 5:17 am 

AllanJN-

There's a lot of Simpson 260 info, including schematics and calibration procedures, in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56942

Alltare
AllanJN wrote:
I've acquired a Simpson 260 Series-6 VOM that was DOA but I figured probably only needed a fuse. Wrong! I checked the 1-amp fuse in the battery/fuse compartment as well as the internal 2 amp fuse under the printed circuit board and both tested good. I downloaded a copy of the operators manual from Simpson.com for a slightly later version of the Series 6 VOM but it did not contain (and their website did not offer) a schematic for this instrument. Although this is not a new meter I learned a lot from ones just like it and I'd like to salvage it if possible. Any suggestions for trouble shooting? I notice what appear to be a couple of diodes on the PCB but I'm reluctant to start pulling the components apart for out-of-circuit testing if there's something obvious I'm missing.<P>As always, thanks for your help.<P>Allan<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2012 12:22 am 

I picked up a 260 Simpson about 10yrs ago in a salvage yard, it too was DOA, like you I hoped it was a blown fuse, I found a broken connection in the movement. My memory is a bit hazy but I know the break was not in a wire but in a thin metal strip near the back bearing pivot. A quick dab with a soldering iron fixed it.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2012 12:45 am 

My guess is that the original poster either got it working or gave up on it somewhere in the last 8 years.