Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 01, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Has Anyone Ever Seen a GE P-783A Before?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 04, 2009 8:16 pm 

Hey all,

I just picked up a GE P-783A on eBay this week. It looks and is built a lot like the better-known (and, in fact, legendary) P-780. I've posted a couple of pictures below, which were taken by the eBay seller.

I recapped it last night, and found that the electronics and inside layout are virtually identical to the P-780, as far as I can tell. Overall, though, some of the materials (even those used inside) seem a little lighter weight than those in the P-780. In fact, fully loaded, I would estimate that the P-783 is about a pound lighter than its predecessor.

Cosmetically, this radio is nearly identical to the P-780 -- the size, shape, and dimensions are exactly the same, for example, but this one lacks the automotive-style grille that the P-780 had. Notice, too, that the case and handle on this radio are a dark chocolate brown, not the so-called "ginger" color of the P-780. (Yes, I know the P-783 looks like a charcoal-gray color in the pictures, but in real life, it's brown.)

Anyway, this radio seems to be quite rare; I haven't been able to find anything on it on the Internet, and this is the only one I've ever seen on eBay.

Does anyone else own one?

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2009 3:54 am 

Although I've never seen a P-783 as such, that looks like the last of the P-780's. Sams doesn't seem to list a P-783.
I'm sure that radio is a great performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2009 6:57 am 

HadYourPhil wrote:
Although I've never seen a P-783 as such, that looks like the last of the P-780's. Sams doesn't seem to list a P-783.
I'm sure that radio is a great performer.

It does look like the P-780H, which was the last of the P-780s. Like the "H" model, the P-783 has the "Long Range" designation on the grille. Of course, as I mentioned before, all of the P780s had that "ginger" colored case. This one is a dark chocolate brown.

The radio does perform quite well, I must say. At least it does now -- after a recap and a quick alignment. Right now I'm listening to an Albuquerque, New Mexico, talk-radio station (770 AM, KKOB) from my house near Phoenix, Arizona, and it's coming in nice and clear. Not bad.

I'm eager to try the radio in a different part of town. To be quite honest, my part of town and, in particular, my house, is really reception-challenged. Before my wife and I got married, I used to take my radios to her house to test them. She lived about 50 miles west of where we now live, and I can tell you that the reception was much better out there. Not sure why, but it was. :)
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2009 7:24 am 

That's a good looking radio---and with the P-780 performance, you've got a winner ! John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 08, 2009 3:47 am 

Hey Aaron,

Check out "P780" in "Yahoo Groups", they mention the P783...

This is from the "Yahoo Groups" page:

"Message from Group Moderator
The General Electric P780 family of early transistor radios is the focus of this group. Produced from 1959 until the late 1960s, these are considered some of the best consumer-grade portables ever made in terms of reception, sound and build quality. General discussion about collecting, aligning, and restoring these vintage radios is encouraged. Messages regarding the entire family of P780 derived receivers, including but not limited to the P780 models A-H, the P783 and the P865 are considered on-topic. In general, posts about GE "Superadios" are discouraged as they have their own groups. An exception would be when comparing these (admittedly similar) radios with P780s. Commercial posts dealing strictly with P780s and related services will be allowed."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 12, 2009 7:50 pm 

Hello yes I have a P-783A and my radio looks the same but on the top left there is no white plug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 13, 2009 2:41 pm 

mine is the p 780 d
great radios!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 16, 2010 6:57 am 

Hey Aaron,

Yet another p-780 offshoot ! The P-784A... Google this for
the Ebay listing. Very similar to your P-783, but with port for
external DC input on back... I copied the pics into my radio
folder, but don't have time right now to post them...

Wonder how many variations were made ???

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 16, 2010 3:30 pm 

That wasn't on eBay. Something called Auction Solutions, a couple of years ago. Sadly.

And, the white plug/cover seen in the P-783 photo is where a whip antenna went on some late P-780-series radios.