Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Very extensive record collection what to do...
PostPosted: Mar Fri 12, 2010 7:36 pm 

I hope this is the correct category...

As some of you may know...my father was a radio and phonograph collector for more than 40 years. he passed away the end of 2008. Since that time my brother and me have been trying to help my mom sell my dad's collections of phonographs and radios.

We have figured out how to handle the phonographs and radios...but the records are a whole unique problem. There are at least 3000 Cylinder records, 3-4000 78s and 2000 thick Edisons.

I work full time and cannot sort through all of this stuff. It is especially tough when the values of records hovers around 20 bucks for a really rare one. There is no way it pays to do Ebay for these because of the labor exceeding the value for even groups of records. It reminds me of the problem with selling tubes. Many just have no value (tv tubes). Some records have value as musical interest if they are your taste.

I'm posting to seek advice as to the best way to sell these. We are not looking to get rich, and realize anyone dealing with this quantity of records has alot of work in store for themselves. The following methods seem to be the choices:

Have an auction house take all of them and auction them in regular phonograph auctions over time.
Sell the complete lot or subsets to a collector who is willing to sort through them on their own time.
Other ideas? We are planning to go to Union...but do not wish to take anything home with us.

Help is appreciated!
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 12, 2010 8:14 pm 

EBay or sell the whole collection to a collector certin cylinders bring Big $$$$ on ebay some lots bring tons money
but this is just one Opnion

[color=#0040FF]PLease Visit me on my You Tube Channel[/color]

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvU5nbpiReG9ViDNcV93Vtw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 12:31 am 

Eric,

I sent you a private message with details about how to contact the local Wisconsin/Illiinois Musical Antique Phonograph Society and National MAPS organization. I think posting an ad in the monthly newsletter would draw interest from local collectors/dealers who are probably the best prospects for your Dad's record collection. Freight charges would be prohibitive for this many records.

Maybe we all should consider what we individually are doing about our own collections of radio/phonograph and record items. I think about it from time to time and I know I'm not prepared.

Jack
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:00 am 

Thanks Jack thats Exactly what I agree that he does its the best thing to do with Dads collection

[color=#0040FF]PLease Visit me on my You Tube Channel[/color]

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvU5nbpiReG9ViDNcV93Vtw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 14, 2010 6:03 am 

That is good advice. There is a regular record show in Milwaukee, and you could also make up a flyer with info on the size and types of things, then hand them out to the dealers and leave some at the show. That would be another round about way to attract some of the same people who would be into collecting those discs.

I have to also back up what Phono Jack said. I have heard at the last couple of record shows I have been to about long time collectors that everyone knew and liked, but they hadn't shown up for a while. In both cases the guys had passed away, and their kids had taken the record collections and thrown them in the trash. That was tragic on all ends, as they had some really great discs, and the families had literally thrown thousands of dollars in the garbage because they didn't know better. Have a plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 14, 2010 2:30 pm 

Hello all,
I appreciate the responses. The collection is actually in Indiana.
The problem we will have is getting record collectors to actaully see and evaluate the collection. To me...if there was a radio collection that had not been picked through, I would try to travel to look at it.
With trying to use a club...we still have a problem of transporting and keeping track of the lots, etc.
Maybe what we will try to do is advertise and hope folks come take a look. We are trying not to make my mom's house an antique store or put an eighty year old through a bunch of stranger tromping through...:)
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 15, 2010 5:58 am 

This guy is famous for travelling all over the US to get record collections. Give him a call. If he isn't interested, he can hook you up with somebody in the area who you can deal with for a fair shake.

http://www.tefteller.com/

I am sorry that you have distance to deal with as well. I also understand about having an elderly relative that would be dealing with enough, so a quick and easy deal is probably in everyones interest. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 15, 2010 6:27 am 

Eric:

I imagine that time is of some essence here. Your pop didn't provide for the disposal of his record collection, probably, beecause he expected that you'd be able to sell off the pieces, onesy-twosy. But as you said, you haven't the time.

Best to advertise them in nthe MAPS publiction, priced as a lot, with no cherry picking. Delivery to be pick up only. You're not going to get full dollar for any one piece. It will be a dealer who will buy them, anyway.

Otherwise, move the whole lot to your place, and have a pre-priced sale, and have yout survivors continue selling the pieces until theyre too old, themselves.

My own radio and record collection will go to a friend, who collects, and doesn't sell. It'll be up to him to do as he wants with the things.
I won't be worrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 15, 2010 6:27 am 

Eric:

I imagine that time is of some essence here. Your pop didn't provide for the disposeal of his record collection, probably, beecause he expected that you'd be able to sell off the pieces, onesy-twosy. But as you said, you haven't the time.

Best to advertise them in nthe MAPS publiction, priced as a lot, with no cherry picking. Delivery to be pick up only. You're not going to get full dollar for any one piece. It will be a dealer who will buy them, anyway.

Otherwise, move the whole lot to your place, and have a pre-priced sale, and have yout survivors continue selling the pieces until theyre too old, themselves.

My own radio and record collection will go to a friend, who collects, and doesn't sell. It'll be up to him to do as he wants with the things.
I won't be worrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 17, 2010 3:03 am 

Another thought: Ther Dave Heitz collection went to the Oliphant brothers, I believe, in California. Those guys are high powered collectors, as I understand. You might contact them, and see what's what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 17, 2010 1:01 pm 

Thanks Doug,
We will be discussing with my mom the options this weekend. We are leaning toward having the records go to a Stanton auction.
I appreciate everyone's comments.
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 17, 2010 5:23 pm 

I'd suggest Stanton's. I've bought and sold collections through this firm several times over the years, now, and have always been pleased.

Stanton's has had a great deal of experience dealing with folks in your position. They do a fine job of handling all of the details, and making the sale as painless and profitable as possible. I believe that the collection will fetch a bit more if auctioned rather than sold as a whole, for the folks who will be buying at auction will be competing against one another. Of course the collection will also receive much more exposure in this situation.