Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 03, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: B Battery 67 1/2 volts
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 1:39 pm 

A friend has asked me about fixing up a cute little radio of his. It's a Crosley 11-305, a bakelite portable where the chassis comes out the bottom. Cute set, doesn't look too difficult aside from parts being jammed together; newer caps will make the landscape less crowded I'm sure.

But the B battery for this set is a 67 1/2 volt. Seems a lot of 1950's portable radios used this type of battery. Is such an animal still around, or is anybody making repros?

Yes, it comes with an AC cord as well. But I have a feeling, this fellow being a car collector/restorer (has several NICE cars, including some rare early antiques!), he just might want to display this radio alongside one of his cars, and have it playing. It would look perfect next to his already-perfect 1956 Hudson station wagon, for example.

Anyway, does such an animal exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 1:51 pm 

Stuff the old battery with modern 9V batteries.

They still make the 67 1/2 volt, but I think they exceed $35.00 !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:01 pm 

grid-leak wrote:
Stuff the old battery with modern 9V batteries.

They still make the 67 1/2 volt, but I think they exceed $35.00 !

There IS NO old battery -- which is probably a good thing after sitting for how many years. But -- at any price, is there a source, or is anyone making such an animal that takes, uh, 7 1/2 of the 9v batteries, or maybe something else with a multivibrator power supply of some sort? I can fix the radio without the battery, or get one if the customer wants, but I'd like to at least say, "if you want a battery for it, go THERE."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:33 pm 

works good with 6 (54 V) or 7 (63V) cells.

Available at link below. Look on page 81...

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Last edited by grid-leak on Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:33 pm 

Gary,
There are a couple of 67.5V batteries on this page:
http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/ ... -cell.html
and here's another vendor:
http://www.batterymart.com/c-industrial-batteries.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 2:43 pm 
Silent Key

The reason for the shortage is that they are orbiting the earth in low earth orbit after some idiot tried testing one with his tongue! :lol:

The low end voltage, or replace when voltage of a 67.5 volt battery is 54 volts, or 80% of its nominal rating. So any combination of 9 volt batteries that fall into this range should work. I would use eight nine volters for 72 volts The few extra volts is not going to harm anything and may even provide a longer life, as the batteries would have to discharge more before going below the 54 volt threshold.

I have actually run sets like this with a 45 volt battery before. Just not as much volume, but they worked. I think the biggest problem will be physical space, as the nine volters will be taking up more space than the single 67.5 volt battery.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 4:55 pm 

Curt mentioned 45 volts. Some radios used a 45 volt B battery with the same circuit. Other portables used a 90 volt B battery. Only the output tube may have been changed. 3V4 ot 3Q4 for higher voltage. 3S4 for lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the links -- I didn't know such sources still existed. I'll keep them in mind, and let the customer know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 5:24 pm 

Here is a site that shows how to make a battery with a printable paper case:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/B-battery.htm

There are other sites around which have authentic RCA and Eveready layout for printing the cases. Also some others using printed circuits for connecting the 9 volt batteries. Search and you will find.

Coop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 5:37 pm 

Found it..........here is the site with the battery case pictures:

http://www.greenhillsgf.com/Project_63V_BatteryKit.htm

Coop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 5:41 pm 

Gary, there is a Batteries Plus store on Bee Ridge that can probably get one for you. A few B batteries are still in production. Eveready still makes it and it's just shy of $30. It has newer logos on it though.

I like the repro battery a previous poster linked to also. That one is really more practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 6:42 pm 

Man, I loved those old EverReady batteries! Especially the ones with that stupid cat logo on them that would have that corrosive piss all over your radio! :wink:

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 6:46 pm 

MouseMaster wrote:
Gary, there is a Batteries Plus store on Bee Ridge that can probably get one for you. A few B batteries are still in production. Eveready still makes it and it's just shy of $30. It has newer logos on it though.

I like the repro battery a previous poster linked to also. That one is really more practical.

You mean the Batteries Plus store that's next door to my business address? Yes, I know where it is, but didn't suspect they would have these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 6:59 pm 

Oh, and as long as the thread has been moved to the "Restoration" page, I've got another dumb question -- remembering most of my experience is with car radios, not home or portables:

This radio has a selenium rectifier; assuming it should be treated like paper caps -- throw it as far as you can. This one is already in series with an 82 ohm, 2 watt resistor from the factory, and then the current goes through either of two 2.2k's to get where it's going. A 1N4004, and keep the 82 ohm, or recommend something higher? I don't know how much these things drop.

If anyone feels like studying the thing, it's in Riders XXII, Crosley page 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 7:14 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
MouseMaster wrote:

You mean the Batteries Plus store that's next door to my business address? Yes, I know where it is, but didn't suspect they would have these.
If your business is on Bee Ridge, then yep, that's the place. I doubt they stock it, but they can get it. I checked their website. I used to buy computer batteries there when I had my shop on 41 (where ScotTrade is now. My tech reopened the shop on his own 3 years ago, down Bee Ridge from you - same side of street, towards I-75).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2010 11:20 pm 

You need to up the resistance of that 82 ohm resistor some. The silicon diode only drops 0.6-.07V. The selenium typically drops 1.5V per plate. In picking your new resistor round up to the next higher standard value to add a little fudge factor for higher modern line voltages. If it were mine, I'd leave the selenium, but I can understand the desire to switch to silicon for a paying customer.