Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need info on a Sears Roebuck Stereo Radio-phono-8 track cbnt
PostPosted: Mar Sat 20, 2010 10:23 pm 

i am curious on the year, value, and or any history about this radio cabinet i have. On the back it says "Sears Stereo Radio-Phono-Tape" with the model number 528.31576300. Tape meaning 8-track, not cassette. Everything works flawlessly and is in mint condition. I've serched high and low on the web and found only a parts list and assebly at searsarchives.com. There they give it the prefix LXI which is not written anywhere on the cabinet. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2010 12:20 am 

Due to their size, few if any of the late 60s into 70s Solid State Stereo consoles have any real value, many thrift stores won't even take them as donations due to no demand...

Sears didn't use that type model system till '70 and Warwick was canned as a supplier in '76(due to crappy TVs)... The 528 in the model number indicates it was built for Sears by Warwick Electronics(their main supplier into the mid 70s)... 31576 is the stock and/or catalog number, while the 3 in third from last would indicate it's a 1973 model... The double 00 indicates it's a original version with no design changes as would be indicated by 01, 02, etc...

LXI was originally Sears premium equipment line that first appeared in the early '80s, none was ever built by Warwick... Later LXI was "stuck" on about every piece of Sears branded electronics...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2010 3:57 am 

Keep the set and use it for what it is intended for. If you or someone you know has a stack of LP's, they will sound good on one of these consoles.

Generally the value it little to none. Space concerns, etc. But if a person were decorating in 'retro', this would be great. How many of your friends have one?

If you were thinking of selling it, good luck. Get it cleaned up, and you may get $10 to $20 on a good day. Of it doesn't sell, donate it to a senior center or somewhere it can be used, perhaps where the 'older' folks can play their Lawrence Welk records on. Seriously.

Good luck,
Gary.

Last edited by gary rabbitt on Mar Sun 21, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2010 4:21 am 

By cracky!...... What you sayin' bout Lawrence Welk, sonny? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2010 5:36 am 

Believe it or not, I have been known to watch the show, and I do have some "not so new" LW albums.
I even found an autographed album from Bob Ralston in the Goodwill a few years back, lol.
Nit really a big fan or anything, it's just that the shows were often fun to watch with their 'campy' productions. :)

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2010 3:22 pm 

Thanks guys i totally appreciate it. yeah i plan on keepin it, i've got plenty of 70's and 80's rock records to spin every now and then.