Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2500 ARC 45 car record player
PostPosted: Mar Sat 27, 2010 9:37 pm 

Ran into a guy here in Fla that has one of these, installs below the dash, and plays 45 records in an inverted position, he said its from the 60's. He says its in very good condition, he had it in a 69 Camaro, but removed it when he sold it, he had it refurbished last year, and it plays. He states they sell for 700-1000 but his price is a lot less, hasn't really came up with a final price. Would this be something that someone would want? What would be a reasonable price?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 27, 2010 9:44 pm 

The last one I sold went for $500 restored, and it was the RCA AP1, which most collectors seek over the ARC models. Some of those models use an oscillator coil that's embedded in a tar case. Even though it may work, it may or may not last long. Some use the antenna from your vehicle. These don't use the oscillator and are much more reliable. I believe the ARC models use this oscillator. The RCA models come both ways, I believe. The RCA I had did not have the oscillator.
The problem with these is the schematics are almost impossible to locate. The same goes for parts.
If you can get the one you are looking at for $300 or so, it's a good deal, especially if it's been restored with new idler and a strong motor. Be sure to ask if the chrome face is in good shape. Sometimes they are pretty scratched up. If it's nice, you won't lose money on it at $300-$400 bucks. Classic car collectors are always looking for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 28, 2010 4:32 pm 

I had one of those apart once. What a miserable little motor it has, with brushes that resemble pencil lead. The idler drive design with the small motor shaft puts flat spots in the wheel in no time. Then there's the rotted foam around the suspension springs. Rebuilding these is not for the faint of heart, I passed and gave it back to the owner. The changer mechanism does share some parts with the RP190.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 28, 2010 9:30 pm 

Assuming all is in good shape (suspensions, plastics etc.), don't play your good 45 discs on one of these players. One of the things that makes them successful, is high stylus pressure on the record.

I bought one of the RCA models; the first ones that appeared, from Chrysler, for their 60 model cars. I used it in a '56 Cadillac, into the audio channel, and it worked good. However, it took its toll on the records, and I kept the player when I sold the car. I now have another '56 Cadillac, and I'll probably install the player in it, but probably WON'T use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 28, 2010 10:27 pm 

Thanks,
Saw the unit yesterday, its in very nice condition, don't know what the fefurbishing consisted of, but it was sent to Mich, and cost him $70, there wasn't a breaddown on the receipt, just the cost. I was thinking around 250-300, he didn't seem interested, will wait and see. Thanks again, Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 29, 2010 12:04 am 

I clearly remember reading the Consumer Reports review of the RCA 45 automobile player. They thought it was an interesting idea but the execution wasn't very good. They commented on the very high stylus pressure causing record wear, and that the speed was inaccurate, running over 10% fast. They concluded the article with prescience, saying that if people really want to listen to recorded music in automobiles, the industry would no doubt find a better solution.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2010 4:12 am 

David,
The owner of the player had it installed in his car, and said it plays ok but not great, probably had speed problems like you said, also he said avoid bumps, that caused the needle to skip and damage the record.
I remember back in the early 50's we had a 45 player in a chrysler, I didn't use it much because of the skipping problem, sorry I didn't keep it though, it would probably be worth a lot now, just for display pruposes.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2010 5:45 am 

I had my AP-1 on the bench after restoring it and after installing a new 89T in it, it will take a pretty good jolt and never miss a lick. I was really impressed with how well it did. I think the dampening really depends on the condition of the 3 springs and the rubber sleeves. If they are deformed or bent, it will skip a lot easier. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the tracking force has a lot to do with this too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 30, 2010 7:51 am 

I have an ARC 45 player never used in its original box