Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sat 19, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 813K Console
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 7:25 pm 

Opinions on this radio.
Never owned one but thinking about one

What should I expect?

What is a fair price to offer in non-restored good condition

Bob T
Wilmington, NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 11:51 pm 

I can't say much about this model as i never worked on one, but I do know that often the plastic dial bezel will shrink and crack on these radios.
Both the 813K and the 816K have the large curved dial which has individually lit dial scales. Beautiful radios!

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 24, 2010 2:11 pm 

I have an 813K, and it is a beautiful looking and sounding radio. As I remember it had lots of caps to replace, but it was not bad to work on. It does have the warped bezel that, as far as I know, no one makes a replacement. It also has a great motor-driven preset station selector. I got mine for $40 on Craig's List. I think you would be pleased after restoring this model.

Steve G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2010 6:40 am 

azenithnut wrote:
I can't say much about this model as i never worked on one, but I do know that often the plastic dial bezel will shrink and crack on these radios.
Both the 813K and the 816K have the large curved dial which has individually lit dial scales. Beautiful radios!

-Steve

I think that the ones with the multiple panes of glass making up the dial has a bronze bezel, with a cover, the ones with a plastic bezel have a one piece dial with no cover.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2010 9:30 pm 

I have a 816K the big brother to the 813K. It as a plastic escutcheon and is warped a bit. I believe it has multiple small glass scales that make up the dial. I would think $250 to $400 if in good shape would be reasonable. Does it have its wired remote? If so that would probably add another $50 to $100. It should have rubber wire in it. It also has electric tuning with motor drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 27, 2010 6:19 am 

Here is my 816K. It has individual glass dial scales plus a curved glass cover on top. My bezel was a little warped and shrunk, and cracked in one place, but not because the curved glass or the chassis were limiting this shrinkage, as I had thought in the beginning, but because something fell on it. I took the bezel off, reglued it, and had to drill about 5 new little holes to fix it back to the cabinet - it was still possible to attach the glass to the bezel. The motor gears are very much in danger, if and when the reverse switch does not function from any reason. I had to repair one gear wheel. My radio is equipped with a chassis-side plug for the Armchair Remote, and I built my own remote.
http://www.greenhillsgf.com/Project_RCA_816K.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 27, 2010 7:58 am 

My 813K looks exactly the same from the front and profile views. It has the same individually lit dial glasses for the bands, the same motor drive and "Magic Brain" station preset system, and the same ever shrinking tenite escutcheon. Same knobs and curved dial glass.

I'd say that if the cabinet is in good condition, I'd go as high as $200 for another 813K.

It's a pretty extensive job replacing all the rubber wire, and there are a boat load of caps that will need updating. The controls switches are tough to clean, and the tuner gears, linkages and motor demand a good bit of time too. Oh, and don't forget the spider web of a dial cord. :shock:

Add on the work involved in an alignment, and you've got a pretty involved project on your hands.

I don't think I'd even look twice at one that needs cabinet work. You'd be better off to built the whole thing from scratch. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 29, 2010 2:34 am 

The 813K is one hell of a radio. Its one of the very few consumer sets (along with the 816K) that has BANDSPREAD tuning on the SW.
Its a real blaster, with PP 6L6. It uses METAL tubes, those are cheap to get. the only downfall is the plastic shrunken bezels.
Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net