Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

which is more useful-anolog or digital meters?
anolog  36%  [ 4 ]
digital  64%  [ 7 ]
i never use one!  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Eico model 221
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2010 9:08 pm 

i just got an eico modle 221 at an estate sale. it is my first real vtvm. ( had a flyback tester years ago) i have cleaned the inside, replaced the ohms/ac jack with a standard phono jack just like the dc volts jack. i got the manual online. my question is is it really important to replace caps in the meter? none of them are leaking but i know their old. also i replaced the battery holder with a radioshack d cell holder. any other info is gretly appreciated.

kc2vdm :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2010 5:07 am 

My opinion regarding caps, and I'm in the minority here, is that if they're OK, I leave them. Some claim that this leads to having to do more maintenance, but From my experience it doesn't seem to be so. It isn't a matter of not verifying the proper condition of components, I simply think that, if it isn't bad, then I leave it be.

As to your Pole question;

There is a place for each. You seldom need more accuracy than you can quickly interpolate on most VTVMs, while DVMs are better suited to measurements requiring better resolution and hopefully corresponding accuracy.

The down side for most VTVMs is the number of scales on the meter face. Often each range has its own scale, and until you have a few hours of using a particular meter, you are constantly looking at position of the range select knob and for the corresponding proper scale. I think that is one of the reasons many like the larger meters, because they are easier to read.

I think the down side for DVMs on the other hand, are the annoying characteristics of settling time and display roll over. You have to wait for each of the digits to settle down, except for the last one or two which may bounce around for ever. Couple that with the delay for auto-ranging, and it can become very annoying after a while.

There is room for both types of meter, and the VOM, in your collection of test gear, each with its own pluses and minuses.

Last edited by Mikeinkcmo on Sep Wed 29, 2010 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2010 12:54 pm 

I'm wondering how you know the caps are not leaky. Have they been tested for leakage while disconnected from the circuit using a cap tester?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2010 1:55 pm 

It seems to me that the TS thinks leakage means leaking electrolyte, not leaking electrical current from plate to plate.

or maybe TS does know what leakage is, idk.

Please excuse any spelling errors; typing on a touch screen phone is absolutely infuriating.

Post subject: Re: Eico model 221
PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 3:46 pm 

Wow, I wrote this about a year ago. I know more about electronics now. The capacitors had no electrolyte leaking, but I never tested them on a meter. I recently dug out the meter this weekend. When I get the time, i'll replace then caps in it. The tubes in it do check out good, and there are no dirty connections. I don't use it in regular service, but it has a nice spot on my workbench.

Thanks for your help, guys.

-Alex

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 6:30 pm 

You left out a couple of choices; both or several of each :)

Each meter is equally important depending on what is being measured, where and what kind of response you need.

Google the term "Horses for courses".

Most everyone who's being around for a while will have at least one of each.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2011 6:33 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
My opinion regarding caps, and I'm in the minority here, is that if they're OK, I leave them. Some claim that this leads to having to do more maintenance, but From my experience it doesn't seem to be so. It isn't a matter of not verifying the proper condition of components, I simply think that, if it isn't bad, then I leave it be. ...

X2... Why "fix it" if it ain't broke.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 15, 2011 3:34 am 

I vote for both - there are some jobs where a DVM is required, others wher an el cheapo analogue will do and others for a good bench VTVM or it's FET equivalent - therefore there is no satisfactory answer to your poll.