Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 24, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bought a tube caddy sight unseen ~With tubes and test stuff~
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 5:40 pm 

On never knows.
This came from a guy I know at a local Flea Market.
He told me he wanted $45 for it and it was full of radio tubes.
There is even a list of what's in there marked new or Value tested on the 50 or so used tubes.
Most of them are all NIB.
Well I went out there and took a quick peak not knowing about the list and saw that from my narrow knowledge they looked like all radio tubes so I bought it home.
While no real gems in the caddy, I like the caddy being double sided.
Please if you know about the CBS/Hytron tubes label, Please do tell.
If any tubes here are "Junk" also let me know, I dont need to work on any TVs and will give them away or take them to the 100 Yard range with my .22.
I think I did ok for $45.
I am tired of needing a tube here and there, So this may tide us over for a bit.
Peter and Eieen

Last edited by pred on Oct Sun 03, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 5:46 pm 

Well, I see a 1L6 and a 12ax7 tube in there, so if they are good, you did well. The 1L6 is used in transoceanics and various clones, sells new for around $40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 6:56 pm 

That is a nice haul, indeed. I see empty ones on Eekbay going for what you paid. Good on yer, mate.
RadioWizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 8:05 pm 

8) And I will be a beggar with hand up on them TV tubes you may find. Yes, call me a tubehugger, I feel compelled to save them from the .22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 8:17 pm 

I found a total of 11, 12AX7s in there as well as the 1, 1L6, All tested at 85% or better.
Also found these tube test doohickies
The one with the small cotter pins are odd to me, I have never seen them before.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 8:59 pm 

Most of those appear to be in-circuit testers...put unit in tube socket in the radio, and then install the tube. Makes it easier to make voltage checks. I have some myself. The cotter pins? No idea.
RadioWizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 9:19 pm 

I am thinking now that the cotter pins allow to disconnect a single pin out of the circuit,
AM I right? Do I get a prize?
I guess it would/could be handy to have the filament string lit without a tube doing anything else.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 10:35 pm 

looks like you could pull one of those pins out to disconect that pin from the cercuit maybe handy to eleminate the tube from cercuit for testing , never seen those kind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2010 11:06 pm 

Nice find.

You did well, and you will be set for tubes for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2010 12:43 am 

The ones with the cotter pins are for CURRENT testing. Pull the pin and connect a meter to measure plate or cathode current.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2010 1:10 am 

Here's some info on CBS Hytron:
http://tubesound.com/2007/11/01/identif ... ron-tubes/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2010 1:20 am 

Tom Bavis wrote:
The ones with the cotter pins are for CURRENT testing. Pull the pin and connect a meter to measure plate or cathode current.

Neat! Does that have any real value? Would doing such a thing be helpful?
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2010 5:28 am 

You did just fine for the money-buying a tube caddy can be pretty risky, as the ones I typically come across seem to have been owned by tv-only repair guys, so they only contained tv tubes (for me, this is good, as I work on tube tvs). Very rarely have I ever found useful radio tubes in a caddy. I can't believe a field repair kit would contain a 1l6!

At local auctions, I do see people go nuts for tube caddies-I have seen the aforementioned loaded with tv tubes caddies sell for a couple hundred dollars, when the caddy was in obscene shape. I guess people go: "Look!!! Tubes!!! $$$$$". That certainly was the case for one caddy I bought off of Craigslist-when I got to his house and met him, I realized I had been bidding against him on a tv-tube caddy at an auction the week before. The whole thing was painted in sticky black housepaint, but still, he paid more than I was willing to bid. His asking price on Craigslist was substantially below that winning bid. In his own words, he got the tubes home, and realized they were only worth a dollar or two each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2010 6:31 am 

That could explain why every flea market, antique mall and car swap meet I attend where there is a tube caddy they always want $200 bucks for it. Or the once in awhile $45 for the caddy and 8 used tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2010 7:23 am 

Nice haul! I wish I could find stuff like that around here. :)

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2010 5:24 am 

Nice find. Thats a different style caddy than most you come across. I have an RCA and a Raytheon that both open more like a fishing tackle box. They have two clamshell lids on top that flip out. Yours looks more like a mechanic's toolbox with the flip open front and removable top tray. I like the design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2010 3:30 pm 

Most caddys I see at flea markets are the same thing-TV tubes and they want $100+. You have to be careful-I have seen tube boxes that DO NOT contain the hoped-for NOS tube you want. Saw big box of "NOS" tubes at Springfield OH a few weeks ago, not in a caddy but in a cardboard box. Had a couple 6U5 boxes-looked in a few of the boxes and found junkers like 1B3s and 6W4s! I did get one very nice deal a few years ago at a garage sale a co worker told me about. Caddy belonged to a organ repairman that had quit the business. He wanted $100 but it was crammed with top shelf audio tubes and tons of orange drop and similar caps. Kept what I needed and sold/traded the rest.

It's funny, I have amassed a lot of tubes over the last 7-8 years via bulk buys, etc. I have to admit many I never did test. I figured I'd have tubes for life to fix my old radios but a few nights ago I bet I went through 5 6SA7s before I found one that was up to snuff to get a '41 Buick radio oscillating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2010 3:51 pm 

Hi

From here looks like good tubes. No compactrons or later TV stuff. The person who had these tubes didn't work on radio/TV after 1960.

Bob - Some of those 6SA7's may work in other radios? Oscillator circuits can allow tubes to work in some but not all radios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2010 10:47 pm 

Supposidly the guy who owned them did repair old radios as a hobby many years ago,
This weekend we am off to an entire town Flea/Garage sale out in the center of PA, Who knows what we will find out there, Last year is was a few box cameras for a few dollars each, We did real well with those on Ebay.
I have a couple of guys at local fleas that sell and when I walk up they pull out what they gathered from where ever for me to look at and hopefully buy.
I am cheap, But they know if I want it I will buy it!
I am sure that more will be coming soon,
And thanks all, I guess we did do pretty well with this tube caddy full of tubes, I like the tube tester mounts, They look to be pretty handy!
Fleas have good buys from time to time!
We also got a NIB polished aluminum router with bits and all the trimmings from the 50s,,, Yes In the original box with all papers too for $20.
We just love the old polished Aluminum tools!
Peter and Eileen