Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 23, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacements for Sperry (Beckman) SP-352 displays?
PostPosted: Oct Fri 29, 2010 1:05 am 

Has anyone ever come up with a replacement for the Sperry (Beckman) SP-352 display tubes as used in e.g. the Heathkit GC-1005 digital clocks, among many others?

I found supposedly some here:

http://parts.usbid.com/SP352.html

Has anyone ever bought anything from this supplier? Good or bad experience? They want quite a bit of info before they will send you a price quote and I'm reluctant to give out that much info without knowing anything about them.

Has anyone developed a suitable substitute using parts not made of unobtanium? I got a quote from Beckman quite a while ago but they wanted me to buy mega quantities of them before they would tool up for a production run, and I only needed 3. It was going to cost several thousand dollars to get the 3 I needed! Now it looks like they are no longer going to produce them.

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Replacements for Sperry (Beckman) SP-352 displays?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 23, 2012 4:52 am 

Surplus Sales of Nebraska has this display in stock.

Post subject: Re: Replacements for Sperry (Beckman) SP-352 displays?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 23, 2012 5:28 pm 

ssnman wrote:
Surplus Sales of Nebraska has this display in stock.

http://www.surplussales.com/

$50 a pop ! wow !

I've got a few:
Attachment:
SP352_03.jpg
SP352_03.jpg [ 58.03 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

Edit:

I PM'd you.

Are you sure the displays, you have are bad ? These devices are very touchy about supply voltage. I noticed that they will flash over to the next digit, if the supply is even a little too high. Say 190V. Check that supply never exceeds 185V. The datasheet says 200V, but I won't go too much higher than the typical value (180V). Check the supply with a scope. See if the ripple goes too high. Also, do you have a schematic of the display section ? When "off", the anodes that are not selected, need not go all the way to ground. Like wise, "off" cathodes need not be pulled all the way up to the supply value. As with nixies, we like to have them drift to some middle value. Say 90V. See if there are "mid-pull" resistors on the cathode and anode leads.