Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 22, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Promenade records
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 4:28 am 

Does anyone have information about Promenade 45 rpm records that were made in the late 1950's? They had a yellow label and 3 songs per side (usually shortened versions). They were recorded by no-name artists, but sounded quite a bit like the orginal versions. I can't find any information about them on the internet. I was wondering if there is a discography listing the records that were made, as well as the history of the label and when they went out of business. I also have a collection of Prom 45 rpm records, which must have been the forerunner of the Promenade records. They have the same style yellow label but only have 2 full length songs per side and are from the mid 1950's. No information on the web about these either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 4:35 am 

One of the many budget labels owned by Synthetic Plastics in Newark NJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_Plastics_Company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 6:45 am 

I had one of those yellow label promenade records with 3 songs per side. That was probably around 20 years ago and I don't know whatever happened to it. Back in the early '90's, I used to find many similar records on the "hit" label. The only difference was that the "hit" label records were one song per side.

I've also seen (and may still have) some 78's on the Prom and Hit labels.

All of these were budget label stuff with unknown artist recording popular songs of the day. These records sold for a good bit less than the legit hit version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 2:19 pm 

The "Hit" label records were from the mid 1960's, based on the songs they contained. I had someone tell me that record collectors like to collect the "Hit" records because there were only so many in the series and they could collect the entire set. That's why I would like to find a list of the "Promendade" records that were released...so I can see how many more I need for a complete set. In the mid to late 50's there was also the "Tops" label 45 rpm record with 2 songs per side, although some of the earlier ones only had 1 per side. I've come across a number of different budget labels over the years, but it appears that Tops and Promenade were the main players in the field. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 5:22 pm 

I have a brochure from the "Top Hits Club of America" that sold nothing but these re-makes from unknown artists. I expect some of them were Promenade brand records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 6:20 pm 

Two more labels that I have seen are Waldorf and Gilmar.

Post subject: Re: Promenade Records
PostPosted: Jan Thu 15, 2015 12:55 am 

Hi All;
I'm the owner of Promenade Records....and 25 other record labels from the 40's and 50's.
Maybe I can assist? What would you like to know?

Post subject: Re: Promenade records
PostPosted: Jan Thu 15, 2015 1:43 am 

Going through my 45 RPM records, I found a bunch of EP Brand (Brooklyn 23, N.Y.) records. The paper sleeves contain: "Four Latest Full Length Popular Hits On A Microgroove Record"; "4 Hits For The Price Of One"; "The Popular Arrangement and Vocals"; "A $3.56 Value, Only 89c (cents symbol)"; " Guarantee". Look to be from the 50s (no Zip code on address).
Anyone know anything about this label, or have any interest in these "no name artist" records?
BOB