Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 25, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 12H090 -- shorted motor
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2011 2:13 am 

Greetings, everyone. A few months back I picked up a Zenith 12H090 radio/phonograph/changer console in very nice condition, and I recently started working on it. It's got what was called a "Radionic" pickup -- very unusual (I think they only used it for a couple of years). Anyway, I was working on it recently and discovered that the phonograph motor has a shorted turn, and will need to be either re-wound or replaced. I'll happily replace it if I can find another, but it's an unusual motor (part # 141-92), so I think it's more likely I'll have to have it re-wound. (If someone has a spare, please let me know!) Can anyone recommend someone to do this kind of work? And how much should I expect to pay for this sort of thing? Believe it or not, I've never had to deal with this before.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2011 2:16 am 

Should be very easy to find a good used motor, it seems like that was one of Zenith's most popular models and plenty of them have survived. No doubt someone has scrapped one out that had a bad cabinet and saved the changer.

Paying someone to rewind the motor would likely cost far more than the radio is worth.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2011 3:09 am 

Thanks! Any suggestions as to where I might find one? Ebay doesn't seem like a good bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2011 3:13 am 

Try putting a WTB ad in the classified forum here.

I have a spare changer, but I also have a 12H090 that has been in the family since 1946, so I want to keep it just in case.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2011 4:30 am 

Will do. Do you have any idea which other Zeniths would have the same phonograph motor? It's a pretty unusual one, at least to my eyes.