Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: active antenna
PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2004 9:28 pm 

I just ran across a company called Ten-Tec, Inc. that sells a little active antenna kit for $12. Has anyone had experience with these and would they help with my sw reception on my old 40's am/sw radios? I know there is no substition for a real outdoor antenna but thought this might help.<P>------------------<BR>Robert

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2004 10:28 pm 
Silent Key

One thing I can say about Ten-Tec. They are one of the very few remaining manufacturers of electronic equipment in the U.S. They make good stuff and I know several hams that have their gear and like it. However, I am not into that type of operating, as I am more inline with WW2 milsurp radios. <BR>Regarding the active antenna, I have done a bit of experimenting with homebrew ones over the years and found that even thou they often help, nothing compares to a good outside antenna. The main thing I disliked about them was the fact that the short indoor antenna on them picks up all sorts of local interference from microwave ovens, tv sets, light dimmers, and so forth. It takes this interference and amplifies it along with any desired signal, so the signal to noise ratio is no better, only louder.<BR>About fifteen years ago when I was trying to get my nephew interested in radio, we were experimenting with one tube regen sets and crystal receivers. Where I lived (still do) there is not much room for external antennas so I thought I would try one of the active antennas. It performed ok, but nowhere as good as my long wire I finally learned how to string up.<BR>I have no opinion on this particular active antenna, as I have never used it. But if the quality is along with the rest of the Ten Tec line, it should be good. Got to keep the folks in Severville, TN working.<BR>Curt<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2004 3:04 am 

I received a Ten-Tec active antenna as a Christmas present several years ago. I was very disappointed. Even a 6-inch piece of wire seemed to outperform it...<P>------------------<BR>...ted coombes in ketchum, okla

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2004 4:13 am 

Its been my experience that active antennas are poor performers. Have built a homebrew and tried the C. Crane model but both were lacking. Curt was entirely correct about the increase in interference. A long wire is where its at. The only application I can see for an active antenna is if you are in an apartment building or other community that frowns upon stringing antennas. Even then, there are possibilities for a stealth antenna.<P>Best Regards,<BR>Brian Hope<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2004 5:13 am 

I've have a Sony un-tuned active antenna sold as an accessory for their portable shortwave radios and I had a Heathkit tuned active antenna. The Heathkit was terrible. strong adjacent signals overloaded it severely so weaker signals were wiped out (that't why I got rid of it). The Sony performs great if you are in an open field with no strong local stations (AM or FM) nearby and you are using batteries for both the radio and the antenna. Strong shortwave signals do not overload it. Otheriwise, as mentioned above, it only serves to amplify the noise generated by today's technology. I agree with the above posters. There is nothing like a good long-wire strung away from interfering power, cable, and telephone lines.<P>Dave<P> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Sat 03, 2004 8:24 am 

I have used a home built active antenna for many years with decent results. Mine performs better at the higher shortwave frequencies (above 10MHz), but gives reasonable results at the lower frequencies if you extend the length of the antenna somewhat. It provides no improvement over a good quality loop antenna for the AM broadcast band.<P>I posted the schematic for it in the gallery a few months ago. There's not much to the circuit.<P>------------------<BR>