Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 21, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help - FADA Battery Radio
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 6:12 am 

I have "inherited" an old wooden case radio that I had intended to gut and use as a magazine and clicker box in my livingroom. Now that I am looking at it closer, I am worried that I will be destroying history and that ghosts will haunt me. So, before I go too far, can anyone tell me about it? <BR>Wood case - brass plaque on front says FADA Radio & has a serial number - 3 knobs and 2 white dials on front... inside there is a large paper label on the back wall that says " The FADA "Special" " and gives instructions for hooking up batteries. ..... there are no glass objects or anything that looks like tubes or bulbs...but there are 3 large silver cannisters and some other strange looking stuff.... I was told it was used in rural Alaska .... any suggestions about it's use or value? Thanks for your help. (Also - had great fun searching thru this site and evesdropping on radio buffs...never realized how much interest there is in old radios)<BR>Thanks... Valerie<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 6:30 am 

Please do not ``gut`` the radio it would be of great interest to a radio person as it is .<BR>Please go to a home decor outlet to buy a ``gadget`` box for your clutter :-) <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 6:37 am 

The Special (model 265A) was introduced in February 1927 and cost $95, Fada's cheapest set at that time. There were originally six tubes along the back, behind the three large coil shields.<P>While it's not of extreme value, if it's complete now, it's a shame to tear it up for a cabinet. Radio cabinets always look like radio cabinets, no matter how many people have tried to convert them into something else. Eventually someone would want to put it back the way it was.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 9:59 am 

As to use, it's an AM broadcast set, and was in fact intended for the living room. The tubes were all the same four-pin type, the '01A, which was the most popular tube type of the twenties. <P>Between radio collectors, a '20s set described as "complete" would be assumed not to include the tubes unless otherwise specified. This is in keeping with '20s radio vendors' usual advertising practice. <P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 11:32 am 

o.k. - I'm learning.....after reading your message I looked again and in fact found a row of holes in the bottom of the wood in the back behind the silver things....and there is a definate circle pattern - so there are supposed to be glass tubes here? And if so, are they still available to make this radio work? But then - what about the batteries to run it? And there are hookups in the back for speakers...need those too I suppose? Wait....turning this into a cool looking magazine box is sounding better all the time. Sooooo...if a person were disposed to trying to put this back together...would an old radio like this be worth the effort? The cabinet is not spectacular, the knobs on the front are missing and it is in desperate need of a good cleaning. Do you have any radio members in Alaska who might be interested in a real project? THANK YOU by the way, for taking the time to tell me about my radio. Valerie <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 5:29 pm 

What you see as hurdles are things that any radio collector either already has or is prepared to deal with. It sounds like you have a good candidate for restoration. A set of tubes is not hard to come by; they can be picked up at just about any antique radio swapmeet, as can suitable knobs--or a reasonable facsimile.<P>A speaker was bought separately, just like stereo speakers today, without regard to brand, as were batteries and battery eliminators. Modern power supplies can be built or bought that will work with virtually any '20s battery radio. <P>I don't know about the radio collector scene in Alaska, but you could always sell it on eBay. There are always '01A tubes for sale there at any given time; search for '01A, 201A or UX201A. <P>------------------<BR><BR>

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 5:48 pm 
Silent Key

Please, oh Please do not destroy this radio! These sets were part of America growing up between the wars and they changed the lifestyle of nearly every American family that lived during that era. They abound with history that will never be repeated.<BR>I would suggest either leaving it as it is as a part of history, or getting it restored. If you have no ambitions to restore it yourself, I am sure you can find somebody who will gladly do it for you. If either of those fail, sell it to someone who would appreciate its little part of Americana.<BR>Curt<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2004 8:11 pm 

I honestly don't know how many radio collectors there are in Alaska, but there weren't many radios sold there in the 1920s, and I would think that finding a "local" radio would be a memorable event.<P><P>------------------<BR>