Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1920s Victoreen kit
PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 3:58 am 

I'm working at restoring a Victoreen kit which I believe to be from 1924/25. It uses 7 01As and a 112 or 11o output. It has 2 separate tuning condensers plus a small variable condenser which is referred to as a stabalizer in their 1928 AC model. I have a<BR>Western Radio (of chicago) catalog ca.1925/27<BR>which offers a Victoreen super 8 with ganged tuning and a super 8 with 2 dial control. The<BR>set I have appears to be a close match to the latter. My Riders 1 has no listing for Victoreen or their parent co., The George W. Walker Co.<BR>Any and all info appreciated.<BR>Carl<BR><P>------------------<BR>carl Roberts

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 5:38 am 

Hi Carl<P> Check the back, misc section in Rider Vol #1. Victoreen has a schematic there. You have a superhet. One tuner is oscillator and the other antenna peaking. The radio will be built on a wide board. <P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 5:38 am 

Rider Misc. 1-23 has two Victoreen circuits listed under Walker. I would guess your set is from 1927, if Walker was selling that early (I don't remember, might have been 1928). Radio Age did an interview with John Victoreen a number of years ago.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 6:22 am 

The May 1925 Radio Review has a construction article for an 8 tube Victoreen using all 01-a tubes. It has 2 main tuning controls on the left, 5 filament reostats, and a seperate pot is used as the stabilizer. It does not have the small variable condenser you refer to as the sabilizer (I believe this small variable capacitor actually controls regenerative amplification in the first detector). I have a set almost identical to this radio. It sounds like your radio may be later than 1925. I believe there is a Victoreen at auction on ebay right now: <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2254330588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2254330588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT</A> <P>You can get a lot of information on your superhet for a small fee at <A HREF="http://www.superhets.info/index.html" TARGET=_blank>www.superhets.info/index.html</A> <P>I can send you a photo of my Victoreen if you would like.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 8:37 am 

OK Guys;<BR>You came thru again. I did find a couple of schemetics under Walker in the SW and kit section of #1. Thought I had looked there but guess I hadn't. Looks like some minor variations but the one I have is near pristine and does not appear to ever have been in a cabinet. Whoever built it did a very nice job but a few square buss solder joints were broken. Got my Radiola 20 and my David Grimes Baby Grand both performing nicely and hsve gotten the old xfmers for my AK20 out of the cans and ready for new modern units. Last on the list of battery sets is a FADA kit that has problems buried under the chassis board.<BR>Thank you very much one and all,<BR>Carl<P>------------------<BR>carl Roberts

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 7:18 pm 
Silent Key

Can you see just how lazy people have gotten over the past sixty years? Back then you needed every hand that was available just to tune the radio. Nowadays, we just push a "seek" button and the radio tunes itself.<P>Separate oscillator tuning, huh. Along with five filament rheostats must have made tuning this thing a real job the first time. I say the first time, because little tuning charts were almost mandatory with sets like this if more than one station was desired.<BR>Curt<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2004 8:20 pm 

The guy you want to contact is Richard T. Ammon. He has a very good article on battery superhets in the current AWA magazine. His adress shows as: 316 West Fourth Ave. Cheyenne, Wyoming. 82001.<P>He tells that over 700 brands, models and variations of the superhet from 1923 to 1930 have been documented. He has a web site devoted to superhets, but I can't locate it. He refers to supers as "The Rolls-Royce of radio".<P>I have two Victoreen supers, and one remler Infradyne. He was a great help in identifying them.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Wed 07, 2004 3:20 am 

OK Doug;<BR>Really appreciate the note re the super dude in wyoming.<P>Curt;<BR>What is this about just pushing a button. Did<BR>I sleep thru some new technology????<BR>Carl<P>------------------<BR>carl Roberts

PostPosted: Jul Wed 07, 2004 5:19 pm 
Silent Key

Carl- the radio in my Jeep has a button called "search". Get tired of one station, just push the button and another station is found.<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: Jul Thu 08, 2004 5:46 am 

Tuning a radio by pushing a button has been around for at least 50 years. I had an old 1958 Corvette that had a "wonderbar" radio in it, where by pushing the wonderbar it would seek the next station. Push button tuning was probably older than this too.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 9:37 pm 

OK Guys;<BR>I'll admit my age. Yes, pushbuttons both mechanical and electrical have been around since before WW II as well as wireless remote control by philco. The 1952 cadillacs had delco signal seeker radios whereby you pushed the "wonder bar" and the radio electromechanicly tuned to the next station.<BR>My 1941 Buick Century fastback had a huge delco radio with push buttons (mechanical) and push pull 6V6s with which I easily drove a 12 in. subwoofer mounted in the trunk and fireing thru the back seat back cushion.<BR>Carl <P>------------------<BR>carl Roberts