Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 28, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP anyone know: Tram Titan 3 CB radio
PostPosted: Dec Wed 15, 2004 6:01 am 

Hello,<BR>Does anyone know about A Tram Titan 3 Cb radio with 22 ch. and a swr meter and SSB. All i found on the internet is pictures but no info. <P>also does anyone know how much it would be worth it was made by the Tram Corpotion and was made in 1960's. If need anymore info just ask. also have manual too.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 15, 2004 4:51 pm 

I've had a few of these sets and while I'm not particularly enthralled with CB in general(but I wouldn't leave home without it on a road trip)there are people who collect the early tube type sets. Collectors have remarked to me that they're a much sought after item.Seems that the audio is right up there with the Sonar CB marine sets.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 6:44 am 

Does anyone know how much it is worth or any info?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 6:50 am 
Silent Key

It is only worth what you can immediately sell it for. I have seen sets like this sell for 20 to 40 dollars at hamfests. The question is "what is it worth to you?"<BR>Curt<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 7:10 am 

maybe i will just ask a collector<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 7:26 am 

meow!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 7:29 am 

I was into CB for a brief period back in the early 1970s when i had a walkie talkie hooked up to a car whip antenna stuck up in a tall pine tree.<BR>I do remember talk abought the famous Tram back then.<BR>I jumped from there into SSB tube equiptment with the drifter Siltronix 1011 C and then the 1011 D model.<BR>The worst I`ve ever been shocked was fooling around with the high voltage plate voltage for the 8950 final tube.<BR>The 1011 D had a 2057 final amplifier.<BR>Seems I never could get the Bias stable with these units.<BR>I think the finals were cooked in each unit.<BR>Anyway these units were some sort of hybrid ham gear made in California back in the 1970s.<P>------------------<BR>Rodney

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 6:55 pm 
Silent Key

Siltronix was the same as Swan. Swan made a lot of relatively good gear for the ham radio market, and was a very popular brand name among hams up until the imported transceivers took over the market.<P>In the early to mid 70's a lot of hams were openly hostile toward CB'ers and even the ham radio magazines showed the rift.<P>Two of the biggest advertizers of Swan products, QST and CQ magazine threatened to boycott Swan advertizing if Swan went into the CB market, and that would have probably the financial end for Swan. So Swan came up with a new name, Siltronix, to market their CB equipment under. If you ever compare Swan and Siltronix equipment, you will see all the familiarities between the two.<P>Curt<P>------------------<BR>Curt, N7AH

PostPosted: Dec Wed 29, 2004 7:09 pm 

To elaborate on the Swan Siltronix connection, here's some details found on the web...<P>QUOTE<BR>This is how the 10 Meter market evolved. In 1969, Herb Johnson of Swan Engineering produced the Cygnet 260, a 10-80m bare bones transceiver. It was basically a Swan 350-C with much of the circuitry eliminated to better compete with the new Japanese sideband rigs appearing on the market. At this time, CB radio was going great guns. Sam Lewis and his father, of Palomar Electronics, were producing the 546 sideband rig and eventually the Skipper 71, 73, 73B, and private labeled the 1046 for Swan. Herb removed all but 10 Meters from the Cygnet 260, added there most sophisticated VFO circuit, and replaced the final section with a single 6LF6 to increase the power output because the 260 only put out 60-Watts on 10m. He stared selling the radio as the Swan 1011. Sales of the 1011 went through the roof.<P>Someone else that went through the roof was Johnny Griggs of the west coast head of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League). Inside of six months, Griggs went down to see Herb several times threatening to have the amateur fraternity boycott Swan. Sam Lewis’s dad and Herb cooked up a deal, Swan would not market the radio, they would build the radio a under private label program under the Palomar Siltronix label. During this period, Palomar was also building VFOs for Baggys radio under his “Slider/Scanner” brand. Siltronix took over the marketing and expanded the distribution to their Palomar 2-step distributors. Up until then, the 1011 was only available through Swan amateur dealers.<P>Swan was bought out buy Cubic Corporation, a San Diego based conglomerate that mainly sold sophisticated communications equipment to the US government and military agencies around the globe. A couple of years after that, Cubic bought Siltronics from Palomar. At that time, Palomar hooked up with Les Ernshaw and started the Kachina project. At the same time, Palomar was in partnership with Communications Power Incorporated (CPI), developing the DigiCom, the first programmable CB radio, until the FCC, under pressure from Cobra and EF Johnson, told them they had to change the circuit, even though they (FCC) type accepted the radio. The partnership lead to the CPI radio and accessory lineup.<P>------------------<BR>