Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: how can I boost AM signal?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 1:05 am 

I have a bunch of old radios I am working to restore. On a couple of them, the FM signnal comes in fine, but the AM signal is weak. The back of these radios only have the two screws for the FM dipoe antenna. How can I boost the AM signal reception on these models? Thanks!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 2:42 am 

Not enough info,are you sure the ant screws are only for the FM? If there is no place for an external AM antenna it must be built in, either a loop or a loopstick. What does the schematic show? You could have a problem in the AM front end or AM alignment.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 5:56 am 

How old? Once FM became popular the radio makers started to really cheap out on the AM receiver, who listened to AM anymore anyway?<P> I have some very expensive solid state receivers from the 70s and 80s and the AM reception is pathetic. I have a 1952 6 tube AM/SW transformer set that blows them away.<P>If it is from early in the FM era and has tubes maybe you stand a chance if you recap it, check all the tubes, add a good antenna and a ground. And do a careful alignment job.<P>------------------<BR>Im pulling for you. Were all in this together.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 10:35 pm 

I've done several AM stereo conversions, and there's a guy who still sells converter boards so you could have AM stereo (assuming anyone in your area is still transmitting it!) Conversion is easiest if it still has a diode detector. You, and anyone else interested in AM stereo can email me off list and I'll give you the relevant details.<P>Scott Todd<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 10:54 pm 

Hi members.I notice the talk about AM reception. I was browsing through a 1937 Radio news mag.and noticed an ad for an RCA aerial system that could run 8 recievers. Every reciever had to have a set transformer? Does anybody know what a set transformer is. Seems they were pretty standard equipment on these old sets.Any help would be appreciated.Thanx,John.<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 11:22 pm 

If you live in or near Chicago, you should have plenty of strong AM signals to receive.<BR>The internal loop antenna should be sufficient for these. Perhaps there is an alignment or other problem. On the other hand, it is possible that these signals are being shielded by the construction of your building. On some radios the FM antenna terminals also doubled as an AM antenna connection. Of course, it was assumed that your FM antenna was on the roof and was connected with a fairly long lead wire which acted as the AM antenna.<P>Dave <P>------------------<BR>