Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 24, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Horn Speaker Testing
PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 2:48 am 

Greetings:<BR>I've been trying to find an article out there that explains how to test the driver of a horn speaker (other than plugging into a radio). I have an old Silvertone WLS and am trying to find out if the driver is good or not. Any suggestions/guidance from any of you more experienced folks greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 2:52 am 

Hi<P> Using an ohm meter will check the driver coil. Resistance will be in the range of 500-2500 ohms. If open you won't get a reading. <P> You can also use a 1 1/2 volt battery. Connect an break connections to the horn. You will hear noise from your horn if the driver is good.<P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 7:32 am 

Hi Norm:<BR>Thanks for the assist. I presume you hook the meter up to the plug ends?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 8:04 am 

Yes, you could touch end of wire leads to meter and check for reading as Norm stated. You can also touch the leads to a battery as well. <BR> Keep in mind if you have no reading or sound when utilizing the speaker wires you may have a bad speaker wire. If you can get to the reproducer itsely I would then test directly at it. <P>Hope this helps<P>Dave <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 8:12 am 

Even if the coils are good, there may be rust or other debris in the driver to interfere with the sound. You may want to open it carefully and clean it.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2005 5:15 pm 

Another way would be to get a cheap transistor radio with an earphone jack and put small alligator clips on the ends of an earphone cord. This way you can attach the horn speaker to the radio's output and get an idea of how the horn speaker sounds.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Fri 04, 2005 4:36 am 

Thanks to all, I'll try these suggestions.<P>------------------<BR>