Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 01, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: stereo indicator light
PostPosted: Dec Sun 29, 2002 10:30 pm 

I have a GE model #T1020A, AM-FM stereo radio, late sixties possibly. Problem is, the stereo indicator light is bad. Can't find any bulb to fit. Measured voltage at 20V DC and was wondering if anybody knew of a bulb that would work for this maybe through Radio Shack or Mouser. The original bulb has no base; just two lead wires from the bottom. Would an 18V or 24V or 28V lamp, that I have found available, work? Neat radio, sounds great, and would like it to be all working for my brother. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!<BR>Deano<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Dec Mon 30, 2002 5:31 am 

Deano,<P>I've got a 1967 era GE table top stereo (model # is too faded to read), it has GE's "stereo star", I'm assuming you have the same set-up style. <P><B>This is not an incandescent lamp</B> It is a <I>miniature neon lamp</I>. Since 20 volts is not enough to "fire it", sounds like you have circuitry problems. GE used this "grain-of-wheat" style neon as they were readily available, LED indicators were still in their infancy and wouldn't be in consumer radio products for years.<P>------------------<BR><I>Clock-radios, the original form of multi-tasking!</I>

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2003 11:25 pm 

Dr. Radio, Thanks for replying, since this radio works fine outherwise and I was able to replace the dial lamps I think I 'll just leave the stereo indicator lamp as is. It's too much work for such a small detail. Is there any chance this could be an oddball incandescnt lamp it looks like one. By the way it is a stereo star. Anyway thanks Doc <BR> deano <P>------------------<BR>