Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 02, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Freed-Eisemann NR-80
PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2006 5:07 am 

I am restoring a Freed-Eisamann NR-80.<BR>The volume and tuning wheels were made of white metal and are destroyed from age. I am having new ones machined up from aluminum and have a fair idea what they looked like but could still use a photo of this area inside of the cabinet. Can anyone help? Thanks!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2006 8:18 am 

I dunno if I can help with your request, but I sure can empathize. I have an NR-80 about 75% finished. The pot metal was gone on the tuning condenser, tuning drive assembly, the volume control, etc. I managed to save the edge or "thumbwheel" portion of both the volume and tuning drives. The tuning condenser is now a unit purloined from a basket case Sparton, (suitably modified for size and mounting), <P>The volume control is built up using only the outer portion of the original "thumb wheel" and a completely new and redesigned drive with a conventional volume potentiometer.<P>Why all the work? Mostly because I have a great fondness for metal "box" sets of the late 20's. The NR-80 is seldom seen and even less often seen in operating condition.<P>No, my set will not be correct as far as originality. The best I could strive for with resources at hand is a set cosmetically correct externally and in operating condition.<P>The cabinet was blacksmithed back into shape after a shipper sent it across country with no packing material to speak of. (That's also what destroyed much of the pot metal). The resurrected cabinet and escutcheon are beautiful (to me anyhow) and in a couple of months I should have the rest of the chassis work finished and the set returned to operating condition.<P>Good luck on you're NR-80; I'd love to see pictures of it as well as pictures of the remanufactured pot metal bits.<P>------------------<BR>Dale <BR>~*~Diagonally Parked In A Parallel Universe~*~

PostPosted: Mar Thu 23, 2006 7:41 am 

I am extremely confused as to what appears to be a support centered between the two dials. It held the pilot light but I don't quite see where on the chassis it attached.<BR>The dials are coming along nicely and I believe will be hard to tell from originals.<BR>The dial scale was very soiled and in an attempt to clean it much of the markings came off. Is yours in pretty good shape and could it be scanned? Could you send a copy? I am in the process of taking a scanned image and correcting pixel by pixel but the wrist on the mouse is getting very sore. I will take pictures of the progress and include them in the future.<BR>I do have another tuning basket that is somewhat warped but possibly usable if you want it but it was from a NR-80 DC model. Center shaft is insulated. Just 3/8" rod can be used instead.<P>------------------<BR>