Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 01, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 1941 Anniversary Victrola Model C-205 HELP!!!
PostPosted: May Tue 16, 2006 12:50 pm 

I was just passed down an old RCA 1941 Anniversary Model Victrola, Model # C-205. I have no idea what it may be worth or the antique value of this machine. The case is in good shape with a few scratched, water marks, etc. The radio still works on the three bands, Special Services, Standard Broadcast and International. The record player still spins but is a little sticky. I have not yet to actually used it though. Just wondering what I can do to preserve this radio and take care of it. Also, if I choose to restore it, where can I get good information on it. It is a great old radio but I do not know if it is even worth working on. Any help would be great, I am new to this stuff. Just started in it yeaterday!!! Thanks, Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 16, 2006 1:00 pm 

Hiya,

Are you certain of that model number ? I cannot find a "C" Series RCA with a number anywhere near that high in any of my reference information.

I could be wrong about the model........however there are some real RCA experts out here who perhaps will jump in and help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 16, 2006 4:07 pm 

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

I think you may be talking about RCA model V-205, which uses chassis RC-521. This was actually a 1940 model, but was commonly sold as a "1941 Anniversary" model. It is a 9-tube AM/SW/Phono console. It uses a 5U4G rectifier and two 6F6G tubes in push-pull audio output delivering 12 watts output power to a 12-inch field-coil speaker. The remaining six tubes would have originally all been metal octal tubes. In addition to the AM band, the "Special Services" band is medium wave from 1,550 to 4,000 kc, and the "International" band is shortwave from 5,800 to 14,000 kc. It uses electric tuning with 6 pushbuttons and 5 knobs, and has a total of 5 pilot lamps. The 78-rpm automatic record changer is RCA model RP-152B. The identical electronics were also available in model V-405, which differed only in cabinet styling.

The V-205 is a very good radio in a good-looking cabinet, certainly well worth restoring. "Collectors Guide to Antique Radios, 5th Edition" lists a value of $110-$140, but yours could be worth considerably more or less depending upon condition, how and where it is sold, etc.

Service data was published by Rider in Volume 12, and can be found here:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 015917.pdf

More extensive service data was published in the 1940 RCA "Redbook", pages 171 through 174.

It will be wise not to operate your radio again until it has been properly serviced and/or restored, as failure of a capacitor or other small component can often lead to major damage to expensive or hard-to-find components including the power transformer, speaker field coil, output transformer, output and/or rectifier tubes, etc. At a minimum, your radio should have its electrolytic filter capacitors and any leaky paper capacitors replaced--for best performance and long-term reliability all the old paper capacitors should be replaced, along with any resistors which are out-of-tolerance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 17, 2006 2:13 am 

Yep, it is a V-205. Thank you for the links and service resource information. I will not use it now and consider my next step in working on it. Thanks again, Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 17, 2006 2:10 pm 

Hi Chris,

Glad we could help. Doug Houston has reminded me that RCA service data published in their prewar "Redbook" series was dated by the year of introduction, with the model year actually being the following calendar year. Thus, with your V-205 being published in the 1940 Redbook, it would properly be considered a 1941 model, as you first suggested.