Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 17, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Senco Leakage Checker
PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2006 9:02 pm 

I have the Model LC 2 checker. Would anyone know anything about it ? It looks like it is a tube tester and capacitor in a 5"X5.5"X2.5" box,powered by 115VAC. Made by Service Instruments Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2006 9:17 pm 

A leakage tester is only good for checking electrical appliances for A/C leakage currents to the outside metal parts from the A/C mains. It does not test tubes - or are there tube sockets on it????

www.philcorepairbench.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2006 11:04 pm 

The Senco LC-2 is fairly good tube leakage tester and will also test capacitors. Instructions are printed on the unit.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 12:28 am 

Hi, if it actually has a bunch of tube sockets althought hard to imagine in a 5 inch area it is as EasyRider said if it has a scale in different colors like a green and red area it is probably an AC Leakage tester for aplliances and test equipment AC Leakage from internal parts to exposed metal parts of case. I have an RCA Leakage tester small hand held unit but comes in handy to make sure your equipment isnt " HOT " for yourself or if you sell - Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 2:15 am 

Sencore made these units to show a very tiny amount of leakage in TV tubes that would upset the delicate bias in AGC systems. They are not meggers or other industial testers. If you worked on TV's you know what they do.

Last edited by Lou deGonzague on Jun Thu 29, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 3:35 am 

I think it is a play of mfg names and similar model numbers in test equipment the original post was Service Instruments Company I don't think that stands for "SENCORE" Mfg which does make a leakage tester and then again there is SECO who makes tube testers and like equipment and of course (SICO) Supreme Instrument Company that makes tube testers so I was trying to clear it up and feel coments made in good faith or even a joke now and then is appropriate - just my 2 Cents :roll: Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 11:42 am 

It does get a little confusing. The company name was Service Instruments Co. and the trade name Senco until 1957, when it became Sencore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 2:53 pm 

Robert-

I have the manual and schematic for the LC2 (or the similar LC3) around here somewhere. Send me an email and I'll scan it for you the next time it turns up.

-Steve W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 9:55 pm 

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think Lou is right,it is a tester for specific tubes used in tv's. It also tests capacitors.There are seven tube sockets across the top, four 9 pin ,two 7pin, one octal. Each socket has specific tube numbers beside it. There is a filament selector switch for 3,4,5,6-7, and 12 volts. An eye tube is in the middle,it indicates good when the eye is closed,bad each side of center. There is a zero adjust that says open & close from the center of it's rotation. At the bottom there are three leads for capacitor test,ELECT -,+,OTHER-.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Fri 23, 2006 11:41 pm 

I added an octal socket to my GTC-5(similar tester) to take the 6V6 family of tubes to check for grid leakage. These are very sensitive for this purpose. Too bad Hickok didn't add this to their line of 533-600-800 testers but it would have required another tube and increased the price.

Post subject: Re: Senco Leakage Checker
PostPosted: Feb Sun 05, 2012 5:40 am 

Hi Robert,
Do you still have the manual and schematic for the Senco LC-2 or LC-3?
Thanks for your time
Adrian

Post subject: Re: Senco Leakage Checker
PostPosted: Feb Tue 07, 2012 9:49 pm 

THE MANUAL FOR THE SENCORE LC2-LC3 CAN BE FOUND AT BAMA.

THE LC3 HAS A ROLL CHART WITH TUBE SUFFIXS FILAMENT VOLTAGE SETTING AND TUBE SOCKET TO USE.

THE ARE VERY GOOD FILAMENT, LEAKAGE AND SHORT CHECKERS.

I OWN 2 OF THEM AND ALWAYS USE THEM FOR A QUCK CHECK BEFORE CHECKING FOR EMISSION IN MY HICKOK TUBE TESTERS.