Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 21, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DeForest RJ-4
PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2006 2:58 am 

I am not sure which forum to have this under: Antique Radio Discussions, Homebrew, or Online Auctions, because it sort of fits under all three. Moderators, feel free to move this where you think it would be more appropriate.

On ebay there is a deforest RJ-4 for sale that the seller admits is a reproduction, and I have seen 2 or 3 more of these repros sell in the last 3 years or so. I am wondering if someone out there has plans or detailed info for one of these that they would be willing to share, as I would be interested in building one. I would never be able to afford an original, and I am interested in the history of these old sets, and would like to show the people who visit my collection where radio got its start.

On a similar note, what do you guys think about people building near perfect repros of very early sets? Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as it is identified as a repro and not passed off as an original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2006 10:36 pm 

The seller may think that one looks old, but I don't. It looks like modern mahogany to me, and there's too much grain showing. Not a bad price for the components however. I wonder where the nameplate came from, as it looks pretty good.

I don't see any problem with making reproductions, as they can almost always be told from the real items by close inspection. Collecting the right parts can be an adventure. You might prefer to make something of your own design, to suit whatever parts you can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2006 8:17 pm 

They might have got the nameplate, as well as most of the other parts, from an outfit called Matson's Antique Radio Parts Supply in Bedford, Mass. I have one of their catalogs from 1987 and it shows 3 pages of various parts for the RJ-4, RJ-9 and the DeForest panel set. There is a complete RJ-4 box in either mahogany or oak, with the audion socket and nameplate, although no prices are listed. There is a note in the front of the catalog that says to contact them before ordering, because the catalog was then 8 years old and some of the items were no longer available.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 28, 2006 12:31 am 

Egad, did Roland issue a catalog? I know he made repro parts of that sort. Last I knew he was in Florida.