Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 23, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1941 RCA Victrola special anniversary edition
PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2006 3:28 pm 
I have a combo radio/phono that has a metal plate inside that says
it's a 1941 special anniversary edition. Anyone know what of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2006 3:32 pm 

It's generally considered to be the anniversary of the formation of RCA as a company. Probably everything they made that year had the designation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2006 3:35 pm 
would that be 25years?

Post subject: Re: 1941 RCA Victrola special anivesity addition
PostPosted: Sep Sat 09, 2006 4:53 pm 

bottzilla wrote:
I have a combo radio/phono that has a metal plate inside that says
it's a 1941 special aniversity addition. Anyone know what of?

I have an RCA Model VHR 404 (IIRC) that sports the same plaque. I read somewhere that they were celebrating a 50th anniversary -- not of RCA, but of Victor (or perhaps even Victor's forebears -- I know nothing about the history of mechanical sound reproduction), which RCA acquired in 1929 and became its basis for radio manufacturing.

BTW, the RCA product code (VHR) indicates that this is a "home recording radio-Victorla"; e.g., it is a multiband radio, record player and record recorder. A nice unit, one of RCA's first horizontal-style consoles (I prefer the vertical style).

The complete RCA Product code for the late 30's and 40's can be found on p. 15 of the Feb. 1990 edition of OTB. If anyone is interested and does not have access to this issue, I'd be glad to print the listing under a separate topic. This is a very useful issue of OTB; it also lists the Philco date code, Zenith product code, dating by Conelrad, an article on the "Tune-A-Lite" tuning indicator used in A-K's top-of-the-line units in 1932-33, dates of publications for early U.S. radio periodicals, an article on the Hallicrafter's Skyrider 23. more 201-201A tube brands, an article on the Pilot Wasp vs. Super Wasp, and more...