Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 31, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just finished a Silvertone 4585 console
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 1:48 am 

I finished my Silvertone 4585 console today. What a pretty radio this is. Those Silvertone gold dials with the glowing green tuning eye look better in person than they do in pictures. It didn't seem to be in too bad shape when I bought it, but I touched up the finish using Behlen Extra Dark Walnut and Mohawk Medium Brown and Perfect Brown toners, fixed a small veneer chip, re-capped it, cleaned the contacts, replaced a few weak tubes, replaced the grille cloth with Radiodaze pattern 46, replaced a wrong knob (correct one obtained from Dave Frush), and had the speaker reconed (by Hank Brazeal.) It's a strong performer, too -- brings in stations very well on all 3 bands (as much as you can get on Police band) and sounds great, especially considering it only has an 8 inch speaker. Everyone should have one of these. :)

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 1:57 am 

Bob I have one but someone lost the plastic dial bezel, it is a nice radio with a great looking dial, one of these days I will get the bezel and be on my way. It has that unusual speaker surround the directs the back waves of the speaker toward the wall so I am sure the 8" speaker sounds more like a 12".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2006 2:26 am 

I just got my first Silvertone a week or so ago.
Model 4465. 8 tubes including eye and rectifier.
Love the huge dial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 2:08 am 

49Stude63 wrote:
Bob I have one but someone lost the plastic dial bezel, it is a nice radio with a great looking dial, one of these days I will get the bezel and be on my way. It has that unusual speaker surround the directs the back waves of the speaker toward the wall so I am sure the 8" speaker sounds more like a 12".

Check out this auction on ePay. Someone is selling a bezel, dial, and tuning condenser that looks like it might have come from a table top, but it should work on the console. It has the spring assembly that holds it in place.

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-7-inch-Vintag ... 0050550057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 2:42 am 

Sorry Bob got the model number wrong, here is the version I have. http://www.radioatticarchives.com/image ... Garcia.jpg It is the 4789, been some times since I have messed with it but I try to keep my eyes out for the faceplate, that and the rotary button cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 6:49 pm 

I have a 4585 table top, was my first tube radios I owned. Nice radio, great sound, great looks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 7:01 pm 

Radarman wrote:
I have a 4585 table top, was my first tube radios I owned. Nice radio, great sound, great looks..

I got one of them too on top my refrigerator. Nice looking dial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 7:54 pm 

I have a 4686 console. It works, but needs dial restrung and to be recapped.

Worst of all though, for someone like me, who's not good at hands-on stuff, the grille cloth need to be changed. It's some blue thing.

Though it wouldn't be the "correct" grille-cloth, how would a pattern for the Zenith 12-S-371 look on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2006 8:27 pm 

cliff_marsland wrote:
I have a 4686 console. It works, but needs dial restrung and to be recapped.

Worst of all though, for someone like me, who's not good at hands-on stuff, the grille cloth need to be changed. It's some blue thing.

Though it wouldn't be the "correct" grille-cloth, how would a pattern for the Zenith 12-S-371 look on it?

You should consider the Radiodaze pattern 46. It's actually a Zenith pattern, but it's close to the original Silvertone cloth and looks very nice. The color is much less red than in some of the pictures -- its more of a silver/grey/pale green with a touch of red.

Bob