Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 28, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6R084 - Motor Bad?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2006 12:52 am 

A couple of years ago, I re-wired a Zenith Radio-Phono, model 6R084. It has a little record changer under a lid, and was made around 1946 or 47 I think.

After I redid the guts of the radio, I put it all back together and the record player and changer still worked fine. Then after a few months, something horrible happened. I turned on the radio and was listening to it when I smelled this horrible smell and white smoke was coming out of the unit!

I think what happened was that the turntable had been left on, and it was frozen or stuck, because I think the windings in the motor burnt up. By the time I realized what was happening, it was too late. After the smoke cleared (and it took days for that smell to go away) I disconnected the power cable running to the turntable part of the unit so I could at least listen to the radio part. I never looked into after that but I would like to get it back again - is there hope for having the motor fixed or would I have to just find a good donor and do a transplant?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2006 10:13 am 

If it was the motor that smoked it probably wasn't because it stopped turning; the windings will get a little warmer if the rotor stops. It is possible the windings developed a short. First, pull the platter and turn the motor by hand. Next do a continuity check of the motor; I'm not certain what the reading would be, but my guess would be in the 100 ohm range. If that's OK, check the switch for motor power. Look for the source of that smoke; may not be the motor at all.