Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 31, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stark Hickok equivelents 10-44 = 6000A 12-22A = 600A ???
PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 2:45 pm 

From time to time, folks acquire a Stark tube tester and wonder about the hickok equivelent - especially important for tube data, as Stark tube data is very tough to find, and Hickok data very easy to find. As we now know, Stark was the Canadian subsiduary of Hickok and made electrically identical tube testers, using the Hickok circuits, but with a somewhat different appearance, and often, a wider range of sockets.

Quite some time ago, I determined that a Stark 9-66 was in fact a Hickok 533/A. The rollchart settings are the same, ecept for very minor bias differences and minor average mhos. The clincher was viewing the schematics side by side - they are the same engineering drawing - same date, number etc!

I recently acquired a Stark 10-44 and a Stark 12-22A. Both in good shape, except for smashed 83 rectifier tubes, which I carefully cleaned up - thank you duct tape!!! I also have a Stark VTVM - a very nice one - that I have to get around to restoring. But, that is another story.

It would appear that the Stark 10-44 is a Hickok 6000/A with a lot more sockets. It is like a 6000 and a 6000A together, with a few extra odd ball sockets. I printed off a data sheet for the 6000/A family and all the settings agree with what portion of the 10-44 rollchart I can access - the rest is of course, stuck. I pulled an 83 from a junker B&K 500, tried it in the Stark 10-44 and it works very, very nicely. The 10-44 has sockets to cover 4 pins through to compactrons, with all kinds of stuff in between. Total socket count is 18 - and they are all different - e.g. it is not a B&K type many sockets thing.

This 10-44 appears to be a quite recent one. The rollchart is a hickok, and dated 1972. OK, maybe an update - but there are other clues. The 10-44 has a three prong plug and cord - molded assesmbly - and the wiring and strain relief appears original. It has an Ontario Hydro sticker with a logo that looks early 70s. The case is black, and with Starks, that tends to suggest a later model.

So, I'm quite confident that the 10-44 is electrically a 6000/A. The important thing of course is that the data matches exactly.

Now, the 12-22A. Its rollchart moves freely, and it is an almost exact match for the data sheets for a 533/A. As the 533/A and the 600/A used the same data, my guess is that the 12-22A is essentially a 600/A. It also has a dizzying array of tube sockets, both ancient and modern. I think I counted 18 or 19 on it. I have a solid state plug in for the 83 on order, but I'll be sticking with the 5Y3. Assuming it works OK, I'll recalibrate if necessary.

Both of these testers use a lot of ferrite beads, and the quality is second to none. The bias pots etc. feel very healthy. Function switches look and feel great. Both are somewhat bigger than their hickok counterparts, to allow for the extra sockets.

At first I was going to sell these. But now, I think I'll hang onto them and sell my restored and calibrated EICO 667 on "the bay" instead.

Phil VY2PR

Post subject: Re: Stark Hickok equivelents 10-44 = 6000A 12-22A = 600A ?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 6:59 pm 

Phil, I'm sure you're familiar with Padgett's Hickok site and other help in doing detective work on the Hickok/Stark models, but in case you're not, the page on Padgett where he deals with this is http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/a/padgett46/branded.htm.

Another resource is Tales from the Tone Lounge:
http://tone-lizard.com/Stark.htm

But you seem to have done more work than either of them, if you've been comparing engineering drawings.

I have a Philco tube tester made under Hickok license, very cool looking, and a Stark variable high-voltage power supply, whether a Stark or Hickok design I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 7:26 pm 

Yes Avery, I have looked at them both - very good sources of info. Tales from the tone lounge is the best resource I know of regarding Stark tube testers. There is a Hickok site or two very clearly referring to Stark as Hickok's Canadian branch.

I will add that I have seen some info, comments etc. on the internet that suggests that the roll charts may be different for 533 versus 533A - so I will point that out so as not to lead anyone astray. I can't speak personally as to whether they are different.

Ultimately, its important to compare data with the roll chart to make sure that the data is appropriate.

I don't know why, but tube testers fascinate me. I enjoy setting all the dials I guess. A lot easier to test a tube than unsolder and test a transistor or an IC.

Many thanks!

phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 11:44 pm 

Hi all,
Unfortunately I never seen a Stark, but I know that a Hickok 533 has a signal voltage of 5 Volts AC while a 533A has 2,5 Volts, both measured with bias pot at 0 and a 1000 ohms/Volt AC meter.
Hope this helps.
Ciao.
Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 8:27 pm 

Yes Max, you are correct - the 533 has the higher voltage, and the 533A the lower. Everyone pretty much agrees that lower is better. Way back when, i measured my Stark 9-66, but I forget the results. A search might reveal it.

I believe that the letter/number settings are the same for the 533 versus 533A, except for the bias and shunt/English settings.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 8:36 pm 

I searched - and I had measured 5 volts for my Stark 9-66, same as a Hickok 533. A later Stark 9-66 might be 2.5 volts, which would then be the same as the data for a Hickok 533A.

Its nice to now have a Stark/Hickok with the lower voltage.

As the kids are having their afternoon nap - a great time to re-read some parts of Alan's fine book on tube tester etc.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 9:59 pm 

Phil, you wouldn't happen to have a pile of manuals for other Stark items, would you? I've been looking for years for an original manual for my PS-501A variable HV DC supply. Another ARF member had one available in late November for a ridiculously low price but I missed it.