Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 24, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolest phono cartridge so far...
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2007 1:51 am 

And a nice challenge too...No room for error...

Syl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2007 2:59 am 

Hi Syl,

Had two of them, one in a Capehart Panamuse and one in a flipover changer model from 1946. They are variable resistance, I think refered to as strain relief. Unfortunately, the elements in mine were good but the stylus tips were worn. Originally, Capehart would sell a new one to replace the old one as the stylii were not replacable. By 1948, they offered a kit with a GE variable reluctance pickup in a new shell, and a one tube preamp to update them. Never saw a Panamuse (meaning drop changer) with the conversion but most of the N series 1946-7 turnover models had the conversion done.

The radio supplied high voltage to the pickup and a blocking cap coupled it to a 6J7 preamp.

Fred WA3KIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2007 3:35 am 

Fred Rice wrote:
Hi Syl,

Had two of them, one in a Capehart Panamuse and one in a flipover changer model from 1946. They are variable resistance, I think refered to as strain relief. Unfortunately, the elements in mine were good but the stylus tips were worn. Originally, Capehart would sell a new one to replace the old one as the stylii were not replacable. By 1948, they offered a kit with a GE variable reluctance pickup in a new shell, and a one tube preamp to update them. Never saw a Panamuse (meaning drop changer) with the conversion but most of the N series 1946-7 turnover models had the conversion done.

The radio supplied high voltage to the pickup and a blocking cap coupled it to a 6J7 preamp.

Fred WA3KIO

Yep, strain gauge all right. I'm trying to figure what are my options here. I am waiting for the phono schematic from the owner and I will work from there. This one has a good stylus but the strain gauge is shot. It will be a simple matter -somewhat- to convert into a crystal type. it will probably need a small mod to the premap though. I will still try to rebuld the cartridge as it should if possible (i need more data).

I suspect the conversion to a GE meant losing the beauty of the translucent shell. Pretty clever engineering stunt. IIRC, there was another very scarce cartridge using that technique. I'd have to look into the books for the name as I forget.

Syl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2007 4:43 am 

HAY i have one of those .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2007 3:16 pm 

Ken G wrote:
HAY i have one of those .

Ken,

If you ever decide to part with it let me know. I'd like one in my display.

Syl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2007 2:46 am 

That pickup was made by Pfanstiehl. It's a strain gage, that operates on a variable resistance as the pickup plays the groove modulation.

If you convert this to a crystal or ceramic, there will be voltage on it, so look out.

I once had one of the GE converted Capeharts, and it was hard to discern that the head had a different pickup in it. My postwar Capehart still has the strain gage head in it, but I think that I'm going to be forced into converting it to a GE.