Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 31, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Jan/Feb 1970 Elementary Electronics Article
PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2007 8:53 am 

I used to have this issue, but it disappeared like so many of my things tend to do.

Anyway, there was a one tube superhet project in it (using a compactron), and I would like to get hold of it again. Does anyone happen to have this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2007 6:08 pm 

I would like to see a copy of this article too.

Thanks in advance,
Izzy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2007 11:09 pm 

Me too. I like compactrons.

I could see an autodyne with two tubes...

Come to think of it, I bet you could make a marginal-performing autodyne with a tube such as a 12AE10 or a 6AD10 or similar. I do not know of any pentagrid sections in a compactron, if there is one with a beam power section and a pentagrid section, I bet you could do it fairly easy. Of course you'd need a solid state rectifier and a solid state detector. Add a second compactron like a 6AC9 (two diodes and a pentode) or even a 6U10 (three triodes) and I bet it wouldn't be too bad. Or a 23Z9 - 2 triodes and a pentode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 12:27 am 

Simmilar?

http://pw2.netcom.com/%7Ewa2ise/radios/compaa3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 12:54 am 

Scot Armstrong wrote:

Wow, two of the same tubes I'm using in my project radio - the 11AR11 and the 8B10.

Bet that would work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 1:21 am 

Scot Armstrong wrote:

I ran across that site too, when I was searching. Interesting stuff.

I believe the magazine article I'm looking for, used a single 6M11, triode-triode-pentode. And I think it used a separate solid state diode detector, which of course is a felony. :)

I have a couple of 6M11's, and have been trying to see if I could make an autodyne converter with one triode section, use the pentode for the IF, and the other triode for a grid leak detector. So, far I have the converter section oscillating, but it's not very stable. I'm trying a circuit similar to the autodyne in a Philco 90, using the triode instead of the 24 tetrode. But I have no information on the oscillator coil they used, and not sure if it would help me anyway, as the tubes are significantly different. If and when I get the converter to behave, I'll tackle the next stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 1:25 am 

I have a 1968 Radio-TV Experimenters book with a 1 tube Ham-band convertor using a 6D10. Anything close?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 1:29 am 
Silent Key

I wonder if a person could use plate detection of the first audio stage to do away with the diode? But I seem to have lost track here. Are we going for maximum tube count, or minimum tube count? I think I am confusing this thread with HuggyBear's thread.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 1:55 am 

HuggyBear wrote:
Me too. I like compactrons.

I could see an autodyne with two tubes...

Come to think of it, I bet you could make a marginal-performing autodyne with a tube such as a 12AE10 or a 6AD10 or similar. I do not know of any pentagrid sections in a compactron, if there is one with a beam power section and a pentagrid section, I bet you could do it fairly easy. Of course you'd need a solid state rectifier and a solid state detector. Add a second compactron like a 6AC9 (two diodes and a pentode) or even a 6U10 (three triodes) and I bet it wouldn't be too bad. Or a 23Z9 - 2 triodes and a pentode.

Guess this is where my 'sperementing comes into play... While building transmitters, and never having much luck with a 6AS6 dual control pentode, guess where I found it will work??? Yup in your every day AA5 for the 12BE6(heater current is 175ma). It did shift the band approx 200-300Kc low, but otherwise performed fairly well... With this info, I'd think a one tube superhet could be built with a Compactron containing a dual controll pentode and audio output... That is if you don't mind using a detector diode, need something for the power supply anyway, why not two rectifiers???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2007 2:20 am 

Curt Reed wrote:
...Are we going for maximum tube count, or minimum tube count? I think I am confusing this thread with HuggyBear's thread.
Curt

I'm going for minimum tube count.

Jim Dutridge wrote:
I have a 1968 Radio-TV Experimenters book with a 1 tube Ham-band convertor using a 6D10. Anything close?

Could be useful. It could give me some ideas on oscillator design at the very least, and also some component layout ideas. Trying to keep lead lengths short when so many components terminate at one tube makes component layout quite tricky. Would it be much trouble to scan the article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2007 4:42 am 

Solid state diode detectors abound in 20's reflex circuits. The 1N34 is just a better packaged "fixed" crystal, that happens to be a little more reliable. And it was developed LONG before any of the compactrons. I don't see how a detector diode would be out of place at all.

John Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2007 8:37 am 

Hi John,
I guess my design constraints were a bit arbitrary, but if I can find that article, I'll be happy to build it whether it has a solid state diode detector or not. :)

Meanwhile, for my side project, I've been picking apart old Philco circuits (80, 81, 84, etc.). I'm quite impressed how they made superhets with 3 tubes (excluding the rectifier).

The converter stage of this project is coming along. After varying some component values, I'm slowly discovering what I need to change to get things to work better. Oscillation was quenching like a super-regen, but that is now fixed, and it's oscillating over the required range. However the oscillator amplitude changes quite a bit over the range. So, that needs to be looked at. On the other hand, frequency is surprisingly stable with varying supply voltage. I varied the supply voltage from 150 volts down to 25 volts, and the oscillator frequency only changed by .025%. It's encouraging so far.

I'm going to add a few more turns to the secondary of the osc. coil and see what that does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2007 12:06 pm 

Bob, I'll scan the article this afternoon and send it your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2007 6:13 pm 

It seems to me you could make a regenerodyne with a 2x triode and a pentode quite easily.

One might be able go get away with a single pentode. Set up the oscillator as in the 6888 TX, bring in a tuned LC as in the regenerodyne, then use a diode detector. If one uses as tuneable detector and tuneable front end you can use a fixed frequency oscillator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 18, 2007 1:29 am 

Scot Armstrong wrote:
It seems to me you could make a regenerodyne with a 2x triode and a pentode quite easily.

One might be able go get away with a single pentode. Set up the oscillator as in the 6888 TX, bring in a tuned LC as in the regenerodyne, then use a diode detector. If one uses as tuneable detector and tuneable front end you can use a fixed frequency oscillator.

Hmmm...I have a 15BD11 compactron sitting right next to me. It has a medium mu triode, a high mu triode and a pentode.

Any ideas where I might find a schematic for a regenerodyne?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 18, 2007 1:54 am 

Try this one.
http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/REGENf~1.HTM#WHAT