Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 19, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1967 Magnavox Console Stereo Saved from the Dump!!
PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2007 6:34 pm 

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/ShareLand ... share&Ux=0

:D Here is a link to the 1967 Magnavox Console Stereo that I saved from the Dump. This is a photo of the Magnavox that I rescued from the trash compactor and Landfill. The turntable works well, needs a new Diamond. But plays quite good with the one she has. This is the second Console of this style that I have saved from the landfill. This girl is solid Oak and quite heavy. I believe she has a life-time-warranty on her Made-In-England platter. She has huge speakers and they work very well, the stereo radio also works wonderfully. It can pull in stations from far away. This is just one example of how insane Americans have become in this throw-away-society we have created. :x
I gave her a really good cleaning, inside and out. She was on her side when I found her! :evil:
Since I now have two of these girls can anyone give me some more information on this console. The correct needle type to order would be greatly appreciated! :lol:
This old girl has huge storage area for the records and RCA jack hook ups for a 8 track player or a CD player. I hooked up a cheap Apex CD player to the interior RCA jacks and the sound was wonderful. :o

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView ... derid=2007

Last edited by Glenn Waters on Apr Thu 26, 2007 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2007 9:59 pm 

Very nice . i am not a fan of these type of console radios . i like the skinny and tall console rather then the fat and short models. but i do like the ones that are squares like my Zenith 12-H-094R . Glad you saved it , here you can not take anything from the land fill because of some idiot that got him self ran over by a land fill tractor (like the CAT 972H but with steel wheels with spikes ) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2007 11:47 pm 

:D Hi Matthew! I have been very lucky in my retrieval operations. I am usually at the recycling center recycling my trash, when someone will drive up and start to throw away a beautiful piece of history. I or one of my daughters or my son will yell out. "hay are you throwing that away? We will take it!" That is all it takes, some times we are too late.
:( Once a group of young men: heaved a beautiful Sparton Console Stereo Televison over their heads into the dumpster. You could hear the tubes and wood braking as it hit the bottom! I looked at them and asked what was wrong with it?
:shock: Oh it worked ok, for an old black and white set, but grandma is dead, and who has records anymore? I thought you guys are nuts, that is a part of history you just destroyed! :!:
:idea: I guess what gets me as how wasteful America has become, its the Walmart way. Throw way the old and get made in China new!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 07, 2007 12:37 am 

Yeah its a shame :( i prefer things that are not mass produced in places like China but that means only buying used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2007 6:25 pm 

You sure the cabinet is solid oak? I just parted out one, a 1967 "Astro-Sonic" Magnavox, and that cabinet was garbage. All plywood and most of the front panels were just plastic! I pulled the components and trashed the cabinet. Made about $70 on the innards. Not bad, considering I only paid $12.50 for it at Goodwill, and I only wanted the speakers.

Didn't sound bad for solid-state, though.

Gerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2007 12:20 am 

1967 was right around the time they started getting trashy. One thing though, I'll take plywood over compressed wood. My 1964ish model has a fine cabinet.

Ken D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2007 4:38 am 

My sister and her hubby bought a 1967 Magnavox Astro-Sonic Stereo and it was all wood not trashy at all. I always admired that stereo not only for the sound but for the record changer that was so gentle to the records. Back then Magnavox was sold at Grinnells along with Fisher which was also state of the art at the time. I don't believe Magnavox lost it's state of the art status until the early 1970's. I could be wrong but I know for a fact the 1960's models were really nice. I was with Grinnells back in the 1960's when it was owned by American Music. It was a wonderful music store. I would have loved to been associated with Grinnell's back when it was owned by the Grinnell Brothers. It was a real classy company then.
Denny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2007 1:08 pm 

Probably different quality levels of cabinet for different price points. The one I dismantled must have been on the low end. If it had been solid wood and nice veneers, I would have saved it in tact. As it is, the internal components were sold to others to repair their Magnavox consoles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2007 10:48 pm 

:D Here is another photo of the console!

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/ShareLand ... share&Ux=1

:lol: As you may be able to tell she is real oak and solid wood construction. The brass hardware is real brass and the whole unit is quite heavy and well made. She survived a fall into a dumpster!
The costars on the bottom are well made and are anchored in the oak also. The speakers are huge and flawless even after being thru so much abuse. The other console I have of this model is in even better shape, they are both works of art to me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 14, 2007 5:01 am 

I'm glad you got a nice model. Unfortunately, most of the ones I find in thrift stores are usually the lesser quality cabinets. The good part is that most all used the same internal components. The one I trashed had those huge 15" woofers and metal horn tweeters, which is what I wanted from it. Sometime this summer I will build cabinets for them.

There was another console about a month or so before that one at the thrift store for $25, and it was a much later model. All particle board and junky components. I was actually ashamed to see the name Magnavox on it. I shook my head and walked away from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2007 12:16 pm 

try www.vintagelectronics.com Ed will have them. Magnavox made nice radio's up to about 1968 but the color tv's was all junk i serviced them SMITHY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2007 11:12 pm 

:D Hi Smithy! I bet you could tell some really neat stories about your days repairing those old Magnavox televisions! I have two old Curtis Mathes color televisions, boy what fun. Very heavy large cabinets and a lot of wood and plastic trim. They look like Spanish-Man-of-War-Ships. Only about a 21 inch tube, but lots of control knobs. If I do not like who-ever is on the television at the time, I can make them turn green or orange! :P
The prices the people paid for these old girls: they ought to be Spanish Galleons full of Pirates treasures. 8) You don't see many of these old girls around anymore. I guess they have gone the way of the old Magnavox Color Telelvisions. :cry:
Check out this old Magnavox I saved, she huge also has a turntable, stereo radio, and a 8 track tape player!
http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow ... nn_speed=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2007 10:23 pm 

:D I found this ad for the 1967 Magnavox Console Stereo I found at the dump! Check out the information on her:

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow ... nn_speed=1

Mediterranean Model 701 sold for $650.00. Exclusive Micromatic record player completely eliminates pitch distortion. Featherlight 1/10-oz. tracking touch banishes record and stylus wear so your records can last a lifetime.
"Until you hear magnificent Magnavox Astro-Sonic stereo you have no idea how beautiful music can be." COOL !! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2007 8:13 pm 

Nice find Glenn. $650 in 1967 adjusted for inflation is equal to 3,996 today.

I try to keep an eye out for sales literature for any of the phonographs in my collection.

It seems like they were still building them somewhat well in 1967. I have a 1967 Sylvania Phonograph that uses a Garrard turntable with a 4-pole motor and a Pickering magnetic cartridge. The control knobs and control escutcheon are die-cast and chrome plated. I'm still looking for any sales information on it. Here is a link to an earlier thread on the player.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... t=sylvania

I still use it regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 09, 2007 1:01 am 

That is a very nice find! Yes, some people are too eager to throw things away, probably so that they have space for junk they bought on credit.

Post subject: Wondering about Value
PostPosted: Sep Sun 30, 2007 6:48 pm 

I saved a Magnavox 3600 Astrosonic series stereo from taking a trip to the dump and am wondering what its current value might be. The Stereo still had original sales receipt for October 17, 1967 for $298.50 coming out to $313.43 after tax. The Magnavox instrument inspection card, operating instructions booklet and original tag from the stereo describing the 10 year diamond stylus warranty were all inside in the original envelope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 03, 2007 12:10 pm 

Typically $50 or less for the Solid-State models. I got bought one for $12.50, and another for only $1.29! Tube models are much more desirable and often go for much higher. Either way, they often fetch more by parting them out on eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 09, 2007 1:06 pm 

A friend of mine had a 1963 Magnavox console "The Magnificent Magnavox" (all tubes). My friend passed away, but it wasn't too long after that that Maggie was severely damaged in a house fire (but it still played)...

Cabinet repair ended up being too much for me (plus the smell of smoke that permeated it), I ended up parting it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 10, 2007 12:00 am 

I have one of the deluxe modern 1964 tube Maggies. All wood, except bottom, which is saw dust. Sliding wood panels on top. No plastic on this one. Has the old Colaro 4 spd. Record changer. I bought a needle, and, idler wheel for it 12 years ago, then, lost interest. Maybe some day, I'll drag it out again. It had a stereo fm issue in radio, but, I know the problem. There's this 4 mf 450v filter in stereo mpx chassis that seemed to always open....
This sucker has two 12" woofers, a 5" mid range on each channel, and two horns for tweeters.

PP 6BQ5 audio out. on each channel with a 5U4 rectifier driving the whole set.... Lots of record storage, too.....
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 10, 2007 10:59 am 

Now why can't I ever find one like that???

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 56 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next