Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 17, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: R-100/URR Military morale receiver - a question
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 3:52 am 

This weekend I picked up a WWII era R-100/URR receiver at a thrift store for a whole $5. On the front it reads "27149-PHILA-44-03". If the notation was still the same back then as it is now, I'm assuming that means the contract for the radio was received in March of 1944.

On the R-100 page on the QSL website http://qsl.asti.net/R-100, it says that order 27149 was made by Espey and is a 110V only receiver with loctal output and rectifier tubes. Mine, however, has the 25Z6 rectifier and 25L6 output tube and is switched for multiple voltages. Were all of the 27149s made by Espey?

Also, the dial scale has a little rust on it and the dial pointer is missing. Does anyone know of where to obtain replacements? I am pretty sure the usual sources don't have this dial.

Does anybody else have one of these? The thing looks like it was made to withstand an attack!

PM me for my email address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 4:36 am 

All my information says that 27149 is the Espey contract (there were other contracts 27147 and 27148 at the same time). Supposedly the same as the Espey 581. Could a military depot possibly have swapped chassis?

If the tubes have date codes, you may want to record them before they get wiped off the glass. They're helpful in determining the date of manufacture, and the set's history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 5:26 am 

Alan,

The chassis is marked as a 27149, but was apparently made as a 27148. Only three of the JAN tubes remain, none of which I could see a date code on, and they all came from different manufacturers (one NU, one RCA, and one Sylvania).

Besides being stamped in black lettering "Radio Receiver R-100/URR" and "27149-PHILA-44-03" on the rear of the chassis, there's also a stamp that says "Serial No. 134". This is interesting because there's "27148-PHILA-44-03" and "Serial 3674" engraved on the chassis, but has been painted over with black paint.

This is interesting because apparently the two orders came from different manufacturers. How could they have remarked a 27148 as a 27149? Who made the 27148?

Also, without having tube date codes to go by, I'm assuming this set was manufactured in the second half of 1944 or possibly early 1945. Is that a valid assumption?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 5:30 am 

I've seen several versions of these "morale" radios, made by Crosley and severl others that I can't recall just now. I have one by Hallicrafters that's a battery poprtable with an AC/DC power supply. Most however, I believe were AC/DC. Unlikely that any had transformer power supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 12:42 pm 

One of mine (not the same contract) has had its number rubber-stamped over and remarked.

We need a larger database rather than relying on isolated examples. Meanwhile, if you write down the date codes on the tubes (and any other parts) these can be deciphered easily enough.

I'm pretty sure Zenith made a lot of these, and I know Majestic made one model because I have it, with their eagle logo on the dial (the Commander must have been FURIOUS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 8:49 pm 

Alan,

I've seen a picture of a R-100/URR made by Majestic with the logo you mentioned on it. I always thought that it might have been made toward the end of the war from surplus parts, but apparently that's not the case.

I'll look this evening and see if I can find date codes on anything else in there. With most of the tubes and even the speaker being replaced over the lifetime of this set, it's going to be difficult. Even the three JAN tubes that remain do not seem to be original to the set. If it was made by Zenith, maybe there will be some of their "trademark" red capacitors under the chassis, but I'm not counting on it.

It would be nice if someone would keep a database of these (Order #, serial #, manufacturer, date, etc., etc.) since there seem to be several varieties out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2007 9:18 pm 

I have records of at least half a dozen contracts in 1943 and 44 (my own sets, ones I've seen, or ones described on the internet). There are lots of variations. At this point I've forgotten where I got the idea that Zenith made many of them. Majestic I'm sure of, and of course Espey made a commercial version after the war (it's in Sams).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2007 4:10 am 

I removed the chassis from the set and didn't see any visible date codes on any of the parts. However, there is a large sticker on the side of the chassis that says "Moisture and Fungi Proofed Nov. 17, 1944". So it was apparently built in the Fall of 1944. Still no evidence of the manufacturer though.

I can't see any paper caps in this radio. They all look to be micas. They're not the big Micamold caps either. If they're sealed, I wonder how well they will have held up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2007 1:05 pm 

I have a Hallicrafters RE-1 morale receiver that had a bunch of those same kind of caps that look like micas. They are Solar brand type MPW. I think they are paper caps since every one tested leaky and needed changing.

There are a number of caps in my set that are, in fact, micas. One of them is shown in the picture for comparison. It was used as an audio coupling cap. I clipped it out to change it, discovered it was mica, but I changed it anyway.

This is the RE-1:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2007 2:16 pm 

Dave,

I looked again (it was dark when I had the chassis out last night) and they are the rectangular Solar units. Hopefully I'll be able to tell them all from the mica caps. They way they're all arranged in the chassis, some will be hard to tell unless one lead is disconnected.