Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 25, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Polle-Royal info
PostPosted: Jul Fri 20, 2007 12:02 am 

I bought a Polle-Royal at an auction about six months ago and have been exhausting sites looking for info to little avail. The best description would be a 20's Rca longbox tube radio with three knobs and the Polle-Royal plate above the main tuner. I have found out about the company (Polle-Royal mid to late 20's located in Providence, RI) I know they were considered luxury models but didn't last through the depression.
If anyone could help me with some info on the possible model, should I refinish or not (I'm thinking just linseed oil due to age). , possible value. I'm not asking for a price, just is it a quality set or not. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 20, 2007 12:29 am 

I believe the name was Royal Radio Co. They turn up in this area from time to time, various models; the one that is really desirable has the bird of paradise in gold on the panel. Circuitry is pretty standard. I've never seen an ad, so don't really know what their distribution was, intended market, and so on. I wouldn't say there is anything special about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Fri 20, 2007 2:46 am 

I have the "console" version of this radio, the one Alan describes.

http://oldradioarchives.com/radio.php?radio=2470

This version has a wooden-horn Utah speaker inside, and space in the lower part of the cabinet for the batteries. As Alan says, the circuitry is pretty conventional. I traced it out and drew it up, and can send you a copy if you are interested. I can't advise as to value, because I have never seen another one. If the radio has value, it is in the case, I imagine, not the electronics.

The radio also came in a coffin-box version, which also has the birds of paradise on the front. Several years ago I ran across a fellow who owns this version of the radio, and I'll pass along his contact info if you would like.

There was an article about Royal Radio in the Providence Journal dated 4-26-99. It didn't really say much. I tried to contact the reporter, but he ignored me. Story done, next story! To my surprise, the link still works - see it at

http://www.projo.com/specials/century/m ... 6radio.htm

Don't expect a lot of good info from any of these - like you, I spent a long time trying to research the company and the radio, and came up dry except for the random contact with Martin.

Bill Jeffrey