Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: general electric model 260 rechargeable radio
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 2:26 am 

the radio i have has the original battery but the vibrator is missing metal cover i filled battery with water as of yet it holds no charge at all radio doesn't work. would metal cover missing from vibrator effect it any any help or experience with this model would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 2:33 am 

I have a Ge 250. Same model just no shortwave. If you have the original Willard battery, it most likely is no good anymore.

There is no direct replacment for that Willard battery.

I've tried a Powr Sonic PS 260, but it's only 6 amp hour and afer lisening to it for most of the day, it's on charge again. I'm going to order the charger the manuafterer recomends for this battery because I;n not sure if the radio charger is matched to this battery or not.

The Hawker Gates J cell is 12 amp hour and porbably would work better, as it would last longer between charges. Hawker does make a 25 amp hour battery, but it will not fit in the battery compartment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 2:41 am 
Silent Key

Vibrator cover won't affect vibrator operation but vibrator may cause "hash" or static in radio reception if cover isn't in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 5:18 am 

the battery than had than electrolite inside that would mix with the water i see whit e powder dried on to the structures inside it it is dried out . its two bad this seems so small overall of no prodject or kit for making a new one .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 2:29 pm 

I was able to get my GE 250 working on AC. The storage battery acts as the filter capacitor, so it or a substitute MUST be present and working. Also, my copper oxide rectifier was bad. I replaced the rectifier with a 5 amp bridge bolted to the aluminum chassis on the back side for a heat sink. There was room for a 3000uf low voltage cap under the chassis. I found an NOS Willard battery on eBay, but elected NOT to add electrolyte solution and charge it, since it would then have to remain charged forever in order not to go bad.

Works well.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2007 6:51 pm 

Correction: I used an 18,000uf 16 volt capacitor for the 2 volt filter. The resulting output in my case was 2.145 volts DC. The radio seems happy at that voltage.

Dave
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Mon 27, 2007 4:04 pm 

Interesting-maybe I'll try that on that 250 I have.