Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 18, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Edison R-5 in R-1 Style Cabinet??
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2007 4:20 pm 

A friend of mine emailed me with this link to an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=003

I've never seen an Edison R-5 in this style cabinet...........

It looks identical to an Edison R-1 from the front with the doors closed.

I wonder if Edison used some surplus cabinets with the R-5 innards for a period of time??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2007 4:28 pm 

The successful Buyer is a forum member here so perhaps he can comment on it once he gets it to his home.

I think the woodwork looks very nice. Looks heavy too with all that chassis stuff.

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2007 5:56 pm 

Considering the problems they were having in the Edison plant, getting sets out the door, nothing would surprise me. Take a look at the Edison documents on Ben Tongue's site (bentongue.com as I recall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2007 6:44 pm 

Thank you Alan for mentioning that website! Here is a direct link to the Edison information. http://www.bentongue.com/edison/edison.html

I just looked and there is a wealth of history on that site. I always liked the Edison name but, I know little about Edison radios and the history behind them. I especially enjoyed reading the "Radio committee meeting minutes" This is one of those sites that gives you a wealth of history and information and is not the typical picture site of someones collection with pictures and articles boasting of the shelf queens they have. The documents are priceless in my opinion and very well organized. The owner of the site deserves a big thank you as well.

There is a recent discussion of Zenith mixing different chassis with cabinets on this forum, in the "Antique Radio Discussions" section, under the title "What do I have? Zenith 9-S-263???". It could very well be possible others were doing it long before Zenith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2007 10:05 pm 

Had a chance to see the set before bidding (was picking up a GM 150 combination, a set that I had been looking for for a very long while). The R-5 ie righe. The cabinet never had any other chassis installed. Edison was notorious for using up left-overs in any servicable way, and shipping the results out the door to the jobbers (C.O.D, fo course!) Think of the notorious Amberola VIII, uilt to use up Foreside and Standard mechanisms after the discontinuation of open horm machines in 1913, or the Amberola 60 and Amberola 80, both of which were export machines consisting of Amberola 30 or 50 motors installed in surplus Diamond Disc cabinets with kludged horns, or the Edisonic seroes, with horns pieced together out of unsold stock, or the infamous Edison midget receiver of 1932, which used a flash-o-matic tuning mechanism from an R-4, R-5 (with the shield cans bashed flat on one side to save space) and a miscellanious array of Edison and Splitdoef components dating to the Battery set era!

the R-5 is complete with paperwork, was purchased, new, mail order, from DAVEGA, in Nov, 1932, for $105.00, including tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2007 3:10 am 

vitanola wrote:
Had a chance to see the set before bidding.

I figured it was you, can't see another "vitanola" on ebay.

What a fantastic buy for the price. I had a nice original R-1 for many years (only missing the original knobs) but ended up selling to a friend and fellow forum member Bruce M. a few years back.

I thought it very unusual though to see an R-5 in the exact same cabinet which housed my R-1.........if I still owned mine, that R-5 would have looked nice next to his brother..............nice find!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2007 7:35 pm 

Have had a chance to examine the Edison radio mentioned in this post more carefully. After removing the chassis, I noted that the botton shelf in the cabinet had been drilled for the shopping t-nuts and for the original R1 loudspeaker. There are slight dents around the loudspeaker mounting bolts, suggesting that such a speaker may once have beebn installed in this cabinet. There are no other chassis mounting bolt holse, save those for the R5 power pack chassis. The upper shelf shows no evidence of ever having had any chassis save the R-5 RF chassis installed in it. The wooden control panel is mounted to the R5 chassis. In the R-1, the control panel was mounted to the cabinet. There are screw holes which suggest that a control panel wwas once mounted to the cabinet, but no shadow on the wood, nor any indication that this panel was in place for more than a very short time. I removed the ID plate from the back of the cabinet, and find that it appears to have been in place for a very long while, as the pattern of light crazing in the surface of the finish ends where the wood was covered by the nameplate.

I trpaired the chassis, aligned and neutralised this set (it was advertised as "working", and it did work, butquite not up to it's potential, the work rook less than a couple of hours) and showed this set to a friend who is a rather advanced collector of Edisonia and he was quite excited by it, and so it how has joined the R-7, C-2, C-4, Edison Tombstone radio, and Italian Renaissance Art Case Diamond Disc that I have found for him, and I have a couple of (junky) Edison homes, a GE Double Door Monitor Top refrigerator (have been wanting one for the kitchen for thirty years!) and a Lyric Grandfather clock radio.

I found the set to be interesting, charming, attractive, and well, beautiful, but I have any number of other sets cluttering the house which are also charming...etc. (and a whole parcel of sets that are not! :wink: ) While it IS lovely, I wouldn't expect it to be valued above many other similar sets of its period, save by an Edison maven, and since it is something out of the usual run of production, it really belongs where it can be displayed amongst others of its kind. And my friend's wife is as thrilled to be rid of the monitor Top refrigerator ans I am to have found it! :lol: