Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 24, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Victrola Granada
PostPosted: Feb Fri 29, 2008 5:59 am 

I saw a Victrola Granada in a local flea market yesterday - it looked to be "all there" and the cabinet was in moderate to fair condition. I kept looking around for the crank ---- and there was none!!! After taking off the back, I found that this was a factory electric model. If I only had a place to put it - I think the $75 asking price wasn't out of reason. Anyone have any comments on this phonograph - desirability, value, etc??? Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 29, 2008 12:54 pm 

I have a Granada in my collection. (crank version). Plays very well. I haven't refinished it yet. I paid $80 at auction for it. I just use it to display my Edison cylinder player and Nipper statue.
I don't think I would buy an electric model. I would like to trade this one for an upright at some point. I think the only reason I still have it is that it makes a nice display table. I will probably put it out at a lawn sale this summer to attract people that drive by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 29, 2008 7:54 pm 

The grenada ai a nice machine, though for some reason undervalued. there were three principal variations. The first two used a fat tone arm baout 1 7/8" dia at the large end) and a "western electric straight" (not folded) horn, with a total aucoustic system length of about 3' . The first version had an open horn, with no grille over it, and the second had a grille. the third version used a thin tone arm (about 1 3/8" dia at the large end) and a folded horn with a total acoustic length of more than 4 feet.

the late machines, with their folded horns ahave more bass response, but the midrange tends to be muddy. they are great players, though.

the early machines, with their straight horns, are just about the best machines for playubf all sorts of pre-1926 records. the abss cut-off is low enough so that everything recorded on the recortd is reproduced, and the midrange is brilliant. Every record collector should own one of these amchines. he smae horn was also used in both versions of the 4-3 (Consolette) and in the Colony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2008 12:57 am 

I've seen quite a few Victrola Granada models, and once had one. Mine was one of the electric models. Victor supplied the electric motor in both a universal motor (AC or DC), or the more common induction disc motor, which is an AC-only motor.

I see no reason to have misgivings about the induction disc motor. If lubricated mafter a good cleaning, they are quiet, and smooth as whipped cream. I have the induction disc motors in both my Credanza (8-30) and my 8-35 Victrolas. If you play the Victrolas very much, you appreciate not having to wrestle with a crank, every selection or two.

Of the Granadas I've seen, they seem to mostly suffer from neglect, and the finish is generally less than beautiful. The cabinetry quality is good, as on any other Victor product, but The neglected condition of the finish douses the value. As Vitinola says, they sound good, for the most part.

If the Victrola is in anywhere near decent condition, it's a good deal on a very nice victrola.