Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scott Phantom Deluxe
PostPosted: Jun Tue 24, 2008 3:19 am 

Just a few years ago I thought I would never own an E.H. Scott radio, and now I own three!

Last weekend I attended the Heartland Antique Radio Association's Summer Sizzler meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I arrived about 8:15 a.m.; the doors officially opened at 8. I passed a car with the trunk open on my way in. In it was a Scott Phantom Deluxe. There was a lady in the passenger seat of the car. I said something like, "Shucks! Guess I was too late to buy the Scott!" She just nodded.

Inside, an old friend from Pea Ridge, AR was setting up his table. While I was watching, he began hauling in the Scott. It hadn't been sold! In fact, I was the first person to see him plunk it down on his table.

I immediately told Gary I probably wanted to buy the radio, depending upon the shape of the rest of the equipment (he had just brought in the RF, IF and 1st audio chassis). I ended up purchasing it.

It's the AM-only Phantom Deluxe -- the one with "Scott" and "Custom Built" written across the top of the slide-rule dial, with a meter between the words. Since it was not the FM Phantom, it has a single (rather than dual) 6E5 eye tube. The glass dial has a piece missing from it; I think I can get a replacement from Radio Daze. It is missing one complete (base and cap) tube shield and the can covering one of the three IF transformers. Also, the speaker is missing. But it has all the right tubes, and Gary (the seller) said they are all good. There is just a little bubbling of the chrome on some of the cans.

This goes with the Scott All-Wave 15 in a Tasman cabinet I purchased earlier this year in Baton Rouge and a Scott Metroplitan (post-WWII AM and FM only, no cabinet, with a bunch of tubes -- more than 20) that I purchased in Topeka (both from eBay).

Now I'm looking for the tube shield, IF can and speaker for the Phantom Deluxe and a coaxial speaker and glass dial (again, I can probably get the latter from Radio Daze) for the Metropolitan.

I just want to pinch myself!