Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PACO Z-80 Signal Tracer Schematic or Operators Manual
PostPosted: Sep Mon 22, 2008 10:44 pm 
Inactive

Hi,
I picked up this signal tracer at a recent radio club event. It is missing the eye tube and any probes that may have come with the unit when new.
I was hoping that someone on the forum might have a schematic and operating instructions that they could share. If not, then if someone knows the tube that would be required for this unit then that would be a start. I looked over the circuit and all the components were clearly marked as to value so I might be able to wing it based on that if I knew the tube that went in it.
Many thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 22, 2008 10:59 pm 

This takes a 1629 tube. All the info, including schematic, is here:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/paco/z80/
BTW - I have a 1629 FS if you need a new one.

Gene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 23, 2008 2:04 am 
Inactive

Dave (PM) and Gene (forum) thanks for the information on the signal tracer. I am going to see if i can get this unit running. Gene, I think I have a 1629 in my small stock of tubes. If I do not have one I will contact you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 23, 2008 3:37 pm 
Inactive

I do have a 1629 tube for this item so will soon be getting into the chassis to start work. I do not have the probe for this so will have to try to build one. One of the parts for this probe is a crystal diode but I did not see a convertable part number in the documentation. Does anyone know what modern and available part can be used for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 23, 2008 10:37 pm 

A common 1N34A would work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 24, 2008 2:09 pm 

As Dale says, a 1N34 or just about any small-signal diode will do fine. The 1N87A has max forward current of 50ma and PRV of 30V. Specs for other similar diodes are in that ballpark.
1N34: 50ma/60PRV
1N48: 70ma/50PRV
1N60: 50ma/40PRV
1N64: 50ma/25PRV
1N295: 35ma/50PRV

I have a pretty clean copy of the Z-80 manual and would be glad to run off a copy. If you want one, let me know here and email me with an address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 24, 2008 10:04 pm 

Mike, I can mail you a couple 1N34A diodes if you wish. I don't even need to make a special trip to the PO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 29, 2008 1:59 pm 
Inactive

Hi Guys,
Sorry I hadn't been in this section of the forum for a few days and didn't notice the posts to this thread.
I appreciate the information on the diodes and the offer to send me some, and also to scan the manual. I did get a copy of the manual from an ARF member (thanks). I was also able to go through some junk drawers in my garage and came up with a diode. I wound up making two probes. One is for RF and the other is for AF. I used old probe bodies from a volt/ohm meter that I had replaced some time ago. They were just not big enough to install a switch to go from AF to RF so that is the reason that I made two separate probes.
The probes seem to be working fine. I am going to have to recap the unit. I am not sure if those units are supposed to have the buzz that I heard coming out of that speaker but as old as the unit is, it will be safer to recap it all the same. There are no paper caps but 4 electolytics so I will be doing that soon.
Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully this piece of test equipment will help me in solving a few issues a little quicker.