Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 23, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 19 Tube Sonora Radio
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 2:10 am 

Here is a 19 tube 1936 Sonora console model 889.

It is a 3-gang condenser mounted in rubber. Absolute 2-microvolt sensitivity. 16 tuned amplifying circuits. High-gain Litz wound coils. Built in filter. Twin speakers 12", with extremely large field and voice coil assembly. RF tuner has 10 RCA metal tubes as follows 4-6K7, 1-6H6, 1-6F5, 2-5W4, 1-6G5, 1-6A8.
Amplifier has 9 RCA glass tubes: 1-85, 1-42, 1-6F7, 4-45, 1-5V4G, 1-80.

I ran across this picture in a 1936 Harrison Wholesale Co., catalog from Chicago.
You guys that know about this circuit stuff, what do you think? A 19 Tube Sonora!!

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly...Unk.

Post subject: Re: 19 Tube Sonora Radio
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 4:47 am 

Heyoldman wrote:
Here is a 19 tube 1936 Sonora console model 889.

It is a 3-gang condenser mounted in rubber. Absolute 2-microvolt sensitivity. 16 tuned amplifying circuits. High-gain Litz wound coils. Built in filter. Twin speakers 12", with extremely large field and voice coil assembly. RF tuner has 10 RCA metal tubes as follows 4-6K7, 1-6H6, 1-6F5, 2-5W4, 1-6G5, 1-6A8.
Amplifier has 9 RCA glass tubes: 1-85, 1-42, 1-6F7, 4-45, 1-5V4G, 1-80.

I ran across this picture in a 1936 Harrison Wholesale Co., catalog from Chicago.
You guys that know about this circuit stuff, what do you think? A 19 Tube Sonora!!

That dial looks VERY VERY fimilar, a lot of generic high end sets used that dial.

Looks like its a very rare set, wonder if any survived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 5:18 am 

It does appear that Radio Products Corporation made that, kind of the Yugo of radio builders. The design no doubt was developed by taking a ten tube set and switching all the dual element tubes for single.

John H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 10:53 am 

odd set, 4 rectifiers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 11:27 am 

I've seen the 19-tube Admiral with the same dial, but the cabinet is different. It's a dual chassis monster, probaby the same chassis as this Sonora.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 8:43 pm 

I'm almost positive that Sonora made it's own sets, I have a bakelite one downstairs. Bezels are not the most reliable indication of who manufactured a set as there were many generic ones, especially the bronze types, in those days. Sonora has it's own listing in the Rider manuals.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2008 9:26 pm 

Sonora did make their own sets, but this one is positively an Admiral/Continental/RPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 4:00 am 

I don't care who made it...I want one :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 2:01 pm 

Sonora did make their own radios, starting in 1939....

According to the Sonora company designer Sonora had been in the label business for quite a while, building custom radios for marketing companies in other large cities. In 1939 they began to design and build their new line of radios. The president Mr. Gerl established marketing connections with the sole name of Sonora with the exception of Mitchell. Sonora had loaned out their designer to Bernie Mitchell (a old school chum) of the Mr. Gerl to design a small bed lamp which he did and is the Mitchell Lullaby bed lamp radio.

1939 was the year that Mr. Gerl hired Mr. PWC as the company designer. He was there designing all of the Sonora line from 1939-1943.

Richard

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly...Unk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 2:27 pm 

$89.61!! A great deal!!
I'll take 2!
Where do we send our money, and what time machine do we use to get back there?? :)

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 5:16 pm 

Heyoldman wrote:
Sonora had loaned out their designer to Bernie Mitchell (a old school chum) of the Mr. Gerl to design a small bed lamp which he did and is the Mitchell Lullaby bed lamp radio

I wonder if this is that bed lamp, I discovered it on epay with my daily hunt to find a sonora phonograph motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonora-Headboard-Tu ... 0105130963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 9:27 pm 

The Sonora bed lamp that is on ebay now is the original design for the bed lamp/radio. The Sonora designer did design this model and then a smaller one also. This first model was too large due to the radio chassis they chose.

They made a smaller bed lamp that had a dial and knob on the front panel. It was called a Lullaby also.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 9:35 pm 

The Sonora bed lamp that is on ebay now is the original design for the bed lamp/radio. The Sonora designer did design this model and then a smaller one also. This first model was too large due to the radio chassis they chose. Mr PWC, the designer also designed the Table Lamp Radio as pictured in brochure.

They made a smaller bed lamp that had a dial and knob on the front panel. It was called a Lullaby also.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 11:04 pm 

Did Sonora make all of the chassis for the Mitchell sets? I have a Mitchell "Lullaby", and from the part numbers, it's a Sonora inside.

Tim KA3JRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 10, 2008 11:40 pm 

Tim..I just now talked to the designer and he told me that Sonora did make the chassis for the Mitchell sets.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 11, 2008 12:16 am 

The Continental AM-8 in Rider 11 is similar, but the tube compliment is slightly different. Close enough, maybe, to get a good idea of the circuits.
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 11, 2008 3:24 am 

The Sanora console cabinet like on Radolek "Stratosphore"
:arrow: http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio/la ... /index.jsp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

Heyoldman,

Is there anyway I could get a better copy of that ad? I'm doing some research on high end radios of that era and this one isn't in any of the books as far as I can see.

thanks, Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 19, 2008 5:07 pm 

Peter wrote:
I've seen the 19-tube Admiral with the same dial, but the cabinet is different. It's a dual chassis monster, probaby the same chassis as this Sonora.

Peter

Yes the chassis is identical to the 19 tube Admiral AM8. The radio was built by Continental. I have the 19 tuber Admiral equivalent on my bench right now. On the Admiral they tilted the dial almost 45 degrees to match up to the cabinet.

I think first they built the 11 tube radio chassis and dial. I have one of that version here also. Then someone decided to build it into a super radio. They plugged off one tube socket hole on the top chassis. Added some cables to get to the amp chassis and built the super amp chassis. With four type 45 tubes this thing will rock the walls. If you want to see some totally different curcuitry take a look at the Continental AM8 schematic. Pay very close attention to the AVC curcuitry.

not too many useless triodes in this radio.

John k9uwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 19, 2008 7:13 pm 

Hey John,

Thanks for posting your information on the 19 tube Admiral. I also appreciate the info on the fact that Continental built the Sonora chassis.

I also have pictures and info from the same catalog on the 11 and 12 tube 1936 Sonora consoles. The 11 tube is a model AM757 and the 12 tuber is a model 458.

Bill, I e/mailed you some better pictures on the 19 tube model as requested.

Richard