Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 22, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorola SK32W 3-channel stereo, console by Drexel
PostPosted: Oct Thu 30, 2008 7:15 pm 

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

Motorola SK32W 3-channel stereo, console by Drexel

Postby zeroroadkill on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 pm
I have a 1959 Motorola SK32W 3-channel 7 speaker console stereo with Declaration cabinetry by Drexel in a fine walnut finish. Contemporary cabinetry with Golden Stereo 800 automatic record changer, Golden tone arm, 3 separate amplifiers, 3 separate speaker systems, Golden audio separator, Stereo audio selector panel and tuning eye...

15 tubes and tuning eye
300-20Khz speaker range
20-300hz sub-woofer
80 watts peak
16, 33, 45, 78 rpm phono
7", 10" or 12" records
AM/FM/AFC RIAA, LP, 78
external tape input

All in excellent and working condition.

WHAT IS THIS BEAUTY WORTH?ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Fri 31, 2008 3:07 am 

Nice find. I bet it sounds wonderful. Before you use it any more you need to see if it has been electrically restored. If the original can capacitors and paper capacitors are still present DO NOT PLUG IT IN until those components are replaced. Also check for and replace out of tolerance resistors.

Can you post a picture of the record changer?

Post subject: Motorola SK32W 3-channel stereo, console by Drexel
PostPosted: Oct Fri 31, 2008 8:07 pm 

I have had this since new (1959) and trying to find a new home for it.
I was playing "Old blue eyes" on it yesterday!
Here is a pic of the turntable.

BOBBImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 01, 2008 10:22 pm 

These were nice units in their day. To get real they only had 15-watts per channel undistorted output and a third channel driving a standard woofer for a grand total of 45 watts of clean sound, a lot of power for the time.

The "Golden" record changer with "Golden" tone arm was a standard VM built record changer with a 2-pole motor and ceramic cartridge. The chrome plated trim has a clear yellow coating sprayed on it that makes it look like polished brass. The record changer was kind of hard on the records compared to a modern turntable with a magnetic cartridge.

The Drexel cabinet is real walnut veneer and beautifully designed but most people do not have the real estate that it requires. Many people pull the power amplifier chassis out of the unit, sell it on eBay as a "guitar amp" and set the rest of the unit to the curb. Sad but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 3:36 pm 

I have one almost just like it. Mine has a really great sound with real deep bass. The one feature that mine has is that it also had a built in reverb complete with the reverb springs and a seperate control for it. Does yours also have the reverb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 4:57 pm 

I kind of thought the record changer was a V-M. Mifght be good to find a 70's V-M changer to put in there. I personally would never play my records on a changer like that.

Post subject: Slow speed on turntable of my SK32W
PostPosted: Dec Sat 13, 2008 10:58 pm 

I have the same console as the one pictured! I bought it at a flea market for $200 a year ago and it has worked great since then. Until this past weekend. The speed of the turntable has slowed down and after looking, at what I think is the idler wheel, it looks like the plastic/rubber has hardened and is cracking.

Any ideas on what could cause this or am I on the right track. And if I am on the right track, is there anywhere I can find parts for this? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Coral

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 14, 2008 1:07 am 

If the rubber on the idler wheel is glazed, chunked, or cracked that will definitely cause your problem. They get old and come apart, no specific cause other than age. Remember these are rubber parts close to 50 years old.

There are sources for replacements, but I forget the guy's name who sells them. http://www.recordplayersplus.com/ is his site tho. Might have to email him to see if he can supply the part you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 15, 2008 1:18 am 

If you record changer is V-M this site http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/ should have the part you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 16, 2008 6:57 pm 

Thanks so much! I am sending my old idler wheel to V-M for a replacement as well as a needle!

Now I'm in search of some more help. The selector knob doesn't move...any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 16, 2008 8:02 pm 

When I was a kid, my dad had a 3 channel Motorola very similar to that. Same turntable, tuner had a different face, cabinetry was very similar, but changed just a bit. Probably a year newer. I think his dated from 1960. Maybe '59.
I'm sorry to say, and I regret it to this day, when he and my mother were moving out of their house, I took it to the local Goodwill. Now I wish I hadn't. It did have great sound.
Mark D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 16, 2008 8:18 pm 

For the selector knob take some oil and lube the shaft with it where it enters the switch. That should free it up. I've used that site several times most recently a few months ago to buy a NOS 70's V-M record changer that has been re-conditioned.

Post subject: Motorola Console Stereo for Sale
PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2010 2:10 pm 

{Moderator note: The text of your ad was removed by a moderator. If you want to sell this item, please list it in the Radio Classified section with an asking price as required by the rules. Buying and selling is not permitted in the discussion forums as noted on the index page.}