Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 17, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fisher knob centers
PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2008 11:29 pm 

Anybody know of a source for the center pieces for the knobs on a Fisher 800-C? Looks like they are about .640" dia.
Any help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 12:01 am 

check out the Marshall amp knobs on www.tubesandmore.com I think those metal caps are the same as fisher. Not sure.. but they look right. Let us know if they are. also, check on www.audiokarma.org

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 12:43 am 

Thanks Mark. Looks like there are some of the caps available on ebay. I'll let the sets owner buy them, if he wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 12:50 am 

There is an ebay fellow in Hong Kong who always has them (repros) available. I bought a set of 10 for $18 (BIN) including shipping which was very quick. But you have to keep watching because his price and quantity varies.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 3:14 am 

oldradioparts wrote:
check out the Marshall amp knobs ...

Actually, the Marshal amp knobs are like the HH Scott knobs. But they have a circular pattern of very thin ridges where the Scott were smooth with just a very slight swirl that you could not feel.

Yes, there are people on eBay that sell knob caps for both. Reasonable and look good enough. Both Scott and Fisher shed their caps...

EDIT: Here is a guy. Good price for sure...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-tube-amp-rec ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 3:41 am 

Just a brief comment; I gave my daughter a Fisher 95 years ago.
It had cap type metal trim ends. I would find the ends on the floor.
She wasn't hard on things. A mystery.

One hot afternoon the house was quiet.
I tried to take a nap on her bed. I heard a "ping".
Soon another. Those darn trim caps were letting go!
They could shoot out quite a distance. I guess the expansion differential between the cap and knob were the culprit.

This is just a why reply. Good Luck, terry h

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 4:05 am 

Quote:
They could shoot out quite a distance. I guess the expansion differential between the cap and knob were the culprit.

That's what appears to be happening with these. Looks like they have tried to glue them back on, but apparently used a glue that was too brittle. I'm going to recommend they try silicone or urethane.
Didn't realize what these sets were going for, if I had I would have been a lot more careful working on it. :lol: Downright shocked when I wandered around ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 5:14 am 

The original glue on these knobs lets loose, and the caps simply fall off. It happened on both my 800B and 400 receivers.

I can't tell from the eBay photo, but the original caps for control knobs have a little slot on the edge so that you can see where the function selector, etc., is set. Not a big deal, unless you're a purist. The Fisher Doc seems to be out of business, so this may be your only source, and $14 for a set seems reasonable.

I don't really follow eBay, so I don't know what listings you're looking at, but I'd consider $200 - $350 a sensible price for these receivers. I like mine and use one or the other almost daily. On the other hand, they're pretty common.

Phil Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 6:49 pm 

I've been purchasing these from this source for a few years now. He has them with and without the black line on the front. On my Fisher 800C, all the knobs have the black lines on the front except for the TUNING knob.

http://www.2baudio.com/

I use the yellow wood glue (Elmers) to secure them to the knobs after I clean the knobs with soap and water and a toothbrush.

John K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 8:42 pm 

I'm also missing some on my X-100-B. The ones in the picture look like they were glued on with gold paint :? Wonder if contact cement would work?

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 06, 2008 10:47 pm 

Actually it looks like one of the previous owners gave up on reinstalling the caps and tried to paint the centers. Made them look worse, imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 07, 2008 5:55 am 

Hi, Just to clarify; The Fischer 95 mentioned previously didn't have simple discs but rather
"caps" that would snap on the end of the knob, and would seem quite secure without glue. When they let go they tended to fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 07, 2008 2:51 pm 

Boy Terry H... You had me wondering what kind of Fisher was out 95 years ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 08, 2008 1:39 pm 

The knob caps from 2baudio.com are the reproductions sold by Paul Grzybek, a highly respected Fisher restoration expert. He's not really in the rebuild/repair business any more, but he still carries the replacement knob caps.

They are beautiful, but they are not exact replacements, so you will need to replace the entire set on your Fisher. The originals are brass, and Paul's replacements are brass colored aluminum. He has both the ones with or without the index line. They'll never tarnish, and they look great.

I have also purchased from a seller in Hong Kong, but they were of such poor quality that I got a refund of my purchase price.

There is another source selling what look like exact replacements. It's an eBay seller, and here's a link to his auctions, which run regularly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Knob-Set-8-B ... .m20.l1116

Just as an fyi, there are no sources for replacement knob caps for any Fisher solid state gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 08, 2008 2:34 pm 

Thanks for that Ebay link Clay.
I was looking for a cabinet screen for my 800B.
Now I just have to find the plans for the cabinet so I can build one :)
I think Fisher used to put the plans in the back of their owners manuals, so I just have to find one.
It will be nice to build a cabinet instead of dealing with chipped and loose veneer on antique radios like I'm usually doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 09, 2008 12:34 pm 

Here's a link to replacement screens. They're very nice!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-400-500-800- ... 240%3A1318