Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Westinghouse Columaire Jr. Skyscraper
PostPosted: Nov Thu 13, 2008 10:30 pm 

I picked up this radio today.

I'm looking for some information on it, such as which schematic it is. I believe the radio is a WR-2 from '31 or '32, but this seems to within the group of radios that are cross-referenced with RCA and I don't know which RCA I'm looking for.

The radio has some delamination and veneer damage, and someone repaired it in the past as the filter cans are obviously missing. On the bright side, it has globe 45s but I don't know if they're good yet. Its a sharp radio, too bad it was left to go to seed, however.

Any info or help is appreciated.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 13, 2008 11:29 pm 

Westinghouse appears to have made 2 GFCs - WR-12 & WR-15.
The 12 is the same as RCA R-9 and the 15 is the RCA R-11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 13, 2008 11:42 pm 

They also made a WR-8 and WR-8R which had a remote control. Controls were moved to the side and the speaker points up from the top.

Very deco looking sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 13, 2008 11:52 pm 
Silent Key

I sure hope it has a weight in the bottom. Looks like it would tip over very easily.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 12:00 am 

All the ones I have seen have a clock at the top. This one, without the clock, I like much better!

Peter

Post subject: Re: Westinghouse Columaire Jr. Skyscraper
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 3:22 am 

Jim662 wrote:
I picked up this radio today.

I'm looking for some information on it, such as which schematic it is. I believe the radio is a WR-2 from '31 or '32, but this seems to within the group of radios that are cross-referenced with RCA and I don't know which RCA I'm looking for.

The radio has some delamination and veneer damage, and someone repaired it in the past as the filter cans are obviously missing. On the bright side, it has globe 45s but I don't know if they're good yet. Its a sharp radio, too bad it was left to go to seed, however.

Any info or help is appreciated.

Jim

That's a very nice set, not a very common one at that.

In the Westinghouse Columaire/tower-series they had the WR-2 (no clock, that's yours), WR-8, WR-8R (adds the remote feature), WR-10 (was a tombstone, not a console), WR-12C (another grandfather clock), and the WR-15 (another grandfather clock).

Both the WR-12C and WR-15 use a cabinet very close to yours- the 12C has a rectangular clock at the top, the WR-15 has a slightly bigger clock face with a shouldered top (not a perfect rectangle). I do not know if either of these had remote options- I think only the WR-8 was available as a WR-8R (a very rare combo to find today).

The WR-8 is the heaviest of the bunch, the chassis in the 8 is massive, filling the inside of the cabinet. The main chassis in the 8 was a very long piece (meaning the tubes were all horizontal not vertical as is usually done), and all the components were wired together without terminals or connectors (meaning a real pain to remove from the cabinet for servicing, unless you're willing to alter the set by adding connectors, for instance between the chassis & speaker).

The WR-2, 12c, and 15 are pretty much big empty towers with a tiny tombstone chassis inside the middle of the cabinet- speaker at the top. No balancing weights, meaning they ARE top heavy (high center of gravity), but I've never heard of one tipping over. I wouldn't want to put it in a room where kids play around because it probably could be knocked over- but if its resting in a peaceful corner of a living room I can't see it easily being disturbed.

I have always wanted to complete the whole line up (WR2, WR-8R, WR-12c and WR-15), I only have the WR-8 (no remote), not counting the tombstone. Supposedly all these chassis's were used by RCA for their name brand sets BUT, I don't believe that in the case of the WR-8R, riders can say and think whatever they want but RCA never made a set that would fit the peculiar WR-8R chassis! The GE name-brand gradfather clock, the longfellow- was a different chassis & electrica circuit, so its not like all of these were used cross-the company names. Still, I think the rest (wr-2, wr-10, wr-12, wr-15) were all typical tombstone chassises that could have been used by all three brands in various configurations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 3:56 am 

Looking further, the WR-12C was the GFC and the WR-12 did not have a clock. It was called the "Columnaire, Jr." Used the R-7 RCA chassis.

Grandfather clocks and similar sets were a 2-year fad, 1931-32. The novelty seems to have worn off rather quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 3:59 am 

heh heh.....

That radio has what I call a "deep-dish"chassis...and, I believe , the capacitor bank has something like 14 caps in it...

That era of RCA chassis's has got to be the worst designed, from a troubleshooting point of view, radios I've ever come across.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade of course, but any benchman that has worked on those early "R's" probably has a few stories about it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 6:18 am 

JIM: I have several of the deep chassis RCA sets. You're right; they were one of the most disgustingly designed radios that ever came along. I've been successful with all of those models, except one, and that's the 140 "family" of sets.This is the one with the big coil rack in the middle of the chassis, and in order to service it, the coil rack must be removed. That was the last of the dep chassis jobs, and thank heaven for it.

ON THE WESTINGHOUSE WR-8 AND WR-8R, they were the RCA Radiola 82 chassis, with or without the extra cost automatic tuning. There was a wired remote control optional with the WR-8R. I have both versions. They're nice sets, but best for piano movers to move for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 6:22 am 

Thanks for posting the photos - I had no idea such a design ever existed. Good luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 7:32 am 

The R-7 is a difficult set to restore because it is built in layers. To get to some of the resistors, you have to dismount the IF cans and lay them to one side. The original filter caps were copper Mershons.

In the set's favor is the fact that all of the IF and RF adjustments are accessible without removing the chassis from its cabinet. The IF screws are on the back of the chassis and the RFs are reached through holes in the bottom plate. If you align the IF be careful - the screws are hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 12:13 pm 

There is also the Westinghouse W-101.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 3:00 pm 

This is my WR-10 "Columnette"...

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 4:22 pm 

Once I got it home last night, I took a closer look at the lable. It is a Columnaire Jr WR-12. So, it looks like it has the same chassis as the RCA R-7, and the same used in the GE S-22. That chassis got around.

Mine has had the copper filter caps replaced with paper electrolytics, probably some where in the 50s or so. So, if anybody has a pair of the original copper caps kicking around, I'd like to fill the holes in the chassis.

Electronically, it looks as though with the configuration of the chassis, the restoration will be time consuming, but the cabinet will require more time. On the bright side, my wife liked one of the radios I dragged home for a change.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2008 6:31 pm 

That set must be quite heavy.

It was always a suprise to pickup an R-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 16, 2008 1:39 am 

I have to agree with Doug, Jim, and Ken on the deep-chassis sets that RCA made. They're not for the inexperienced restorer; some parts, such as IF coils, must be removed to even see the wiring and components underneath. The capacitors are potted in a large can, which is crimped to the chassis under all that wiring. I do have a 240, the console version of the 140, to be restored someday; maybe as a retirement project...

Tim KA3JRT