Since the Pioneer Days of Radio
Remler Eight Year Pedigree
Remler Radio Manufacturing Plant
Remler is best known to collectors for their striking black-and-white plastic radios with little Scottie dog mascots. These deco-inspired case styles has made many Remler sets much sought after radios.
Elmer Cunningham,who had made a mark in the radio world in the manufacturing of Cunningham brand radios tubes, founded Remler in San Francisco in 1918 along with Thomas B. Gray and Ernest G. Danielson. Cunningham came up with the name "Remler" for the new company by spelling his first name backwards and adding an extra "R" for "radio" to the end of it.
They started by making radio parts, sockets, switches, and other small components. By 1922 Cunningham had dropped out and although it's products were still branded "Remler," the company became the Gray and Danielson Mfg. Co. In 1924 they produced the first of their line of high quality super-heterodyne radio recievers.
In 1931 the company officially renamed itself "The Remler Company. Ltd." again. The original factory had been destroyed by fire a year earlier, and they had just built a new plant at 2101 Bryant Street in San Francisco (the building still stands today, and is still labeled "Remler Co. Ltd" across the top) and was making a major marketing effort for their two new sets, the Remler "Cameo" priced at $64.50 and the Remler "Super-Heterodyne" priced at $77.50.
Remler built consumer radios (and even had a quick flirtation with television manufacturing) up until the early 1950s. They had a reputation for high quality sets, and their plastic cabinets were quite handsome. After the war Remler had sold 25,000 sets on consignment to a salesman on the East Coast, but it turned out that only a few thousand were actually paid for, and the bulk of the sets were returned to the factory. Many of the cabinets for the hefty radios didn't fare well in shipping, and the company sustained considerable loses on the sets. After that they left the consumer radio market.
Links to the left are to Remler sales materials from 1931.
Back to Antique Radios.