Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Good day bad day.
PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 5:46 am 

I have been working on a Zenith R 520 chassis for three days off and on. I had picked up this chassis for some spate parts. I decided to see if I could repair it. It had been fried. The output speaker coil had the tar melted off of it with a hole in the bottom from a small explosion. The power line coupling Cap had been fried, the Ecap can was fried, and the 12 mfd cap under the tone controls was black and fried. I did not know what else was damaged so I put in a new output transformer and used one of those Fil T Pac from Toms radio. The instructions did not match the wiring in this radio so it took me some time to figure it out because I wanted the 1/16 amp fuse to kept in use. Got it done this afternoon, cranked up the vari ac to 90 volts and it came alive. Nice. Put in on battery and I got several channels with out an antenna. I went back to plug it in, and it was humming bad , got a channel then went out. I had flipped it over on the battery plug and did not see the battery plug folding under the chassis shorting out the new board I had just installed. This has been put away for a few days . I just got my shipment in of some caps I needed and will go to another radio for a couple of days. It is a 6G004 that I had to get a case for that was broke in transit. I did get in two nice Zenith transistor radios that worked well. One was one of the early solar models. Opened it up, it had been recapped. I took it out in the sun and it worked only on solar power. Put batteries in and it was great. Ahh the good. Tom

Post subject: Re: Good day bad day.
PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 3:24 am 

Sounds like a typical day with radio repair - wins and losses.
Keep at it!

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 3:09 pm 

That battery plug on the Zenith TO's love to curl up under the chassis. Flip the chassis over and 8 out of 10 times it is underneath. I have been lucky though. Only once it shorted out, but only blew the variac fuse.

Freeman

PostPosted: May Tue 18, 2021 5:08 am 

I may be getting to old to work on radios although it seems to be my one enjoyment now. I was working on one last week and felt a tingling feeling. I thought I had hit one of the E caps I was replacing. Felt a tingling again, looked, and I had failed to unplug it after I had tested it. I had unplugged my hot air spaghetti shrinker. It is like a hair dryer only smaller.
The R 520 chassis works a little on battery now so somewhere there is a wiring error or something is still shorted out. The caps they used on that chassis instead of paper caps are great. They look like giant mica caps. Tom