Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 2:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Very early radio needs identity
PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 11:20 pm 

I bought this at our New England Meet. It has mostly Chelsea parts. I believe it is factory. Anyone ever seen one of these or an ad? It came with dusty brass base tipped tubes. It is all original except the plug in devices on the front panel.

Attachments:
HPIM1889.JPG
HPIM1889.JPG [ 440.27 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]
HPIM1890.JPG
HPIM1890.JPG [ 689.36 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]
HPIM1892.JPG
HPIM1892.JPG [ 637.24 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]

Post subject: Re: Very early radio needs identity
PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 11:25 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
No coils?

"A" to one of what looks like a grid leak resistor and then straight to ground .... how do they form a resonant circuit for tuning? ... just thinking out loud.

I think there's a hinged variable coupling coil set that's supposed to plug into the front .... kinda like one of those DeForest triple coil sets?

Last edited by John Bartley on May Sun 16, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 11:30 pm 

I had a feeling that the applicable coils were to be plugged into the front panel - missing when I got it but I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 11:33 pm 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
I had a feeling that the applicable coils were to be plugged into the front panel - missing when I got it but I don't know for sure.

Yes, that was my first thought, but those aren't sockets. I hate to say it, but it sort of looks like a new build in an old style with old parts ...??? Don't know, but it doesn't ring true ... to me anyway.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 12:15 am 

What is supposed to be where the ballast resistor clips are is a 3-circuit honey comb coil mount. The radio has rheostats so the resistors are ambiguous... chas

Last edited by Chas on May Mon 17, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 12:21 am 

A nice little set, missed the meet as I was exhausted and could not get up until around noon. Otherwise I would have bought it.

Anyway stopped by my sisters house, and she had an old radio from my BIL's mothers house with a good filament Deforest DV2 tube, will trade?

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 12:22 am 

I agree. From the internal wiring, there should be coils where someone put the resistor clips.

Edit: The clips may be original. If the coils mounted in the clips, they could be rotated to adjust the coupling.

Jay

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 1:00 am 

JnTX wrote:
Edit: The clips may be original. If the coils mounted in the clips, they could be rotated to adjust the coupling.
Jay

I went looking for that vario-coupling honeycomb set of three coils (DeForest is all that came up). I tried to find them in a mounting other than plug-in or panel mount plate. I found nothing that looked as if it snapped into the GLR holders. The plate mount style looked closest, almost as if the mounting holes for the plate were what the seller used for the GLR clips ...

I still think it rings wrong ... the round copper wire, the three loose wires ... one from each stage, the shiny washers under the terminal mounting screws, and the way the switch at the right side is built onto the backside of the front panel ... summat's not right .... or was jury-rigged recently.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 1:13 am 

I'm guessing that those contacts (if they are original to that receiver) may not have been intended to hold the bulky and sometimes heavy honeycomb coils. Maybe they held lighter coils such as specially designed spider's web coils which would have been thin and lightweight.

Spider's web coils in a self contained coil assembly.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 2:00 am 

The coils on my ABC (Jewett) tuner will fit in the brackets nicely so I think it used a simpler less cumbersome arrangement than Deforest.. Now to find some coils if I can't modify Deforest coils which looks doable. Now the question is who made it. My guess it is 1922 and definitely is factory in my opinion. Anyway it fits nicely in my collection. Thanks for adding your ideas to this.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 5:58 am 

I am guessing the grid leak clips were once binding posts to connect an outboard set of coils.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 1:56 pm 

Is there any outline, shadow, discoloration of the panel, incrusted dirt, indentations, anything that acts as a fingerprint on that panel to indicate what was originally attached there.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 2:45 pm 

Those tabs are the only things that were ever there as far as I can determine. No screw holes, filled holes or localized discoloration. I can see it had the same arrangement as the ABC sets from 1921. The distances among the bracket ends and the adjacent pairs are the same so it follows the coil configuration is the same. The hardware attaching the bracket pieces looks it's age - nothing looks modified or of a later period.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 5:02 pm 

It's nice for sure. I would vote for it being a recent construction to an original plan. It's very shiny and new inside, even the brass screws and copper. Surely they would be near black if original. Also, the panel is engraved, but there no manufacturer's name - isn't that inconsistent? Hinges look new, and looks like someone has just varnished the wood and got a bit on a hinge - they would be tarnished if 100 yrs old. Has somebody made the variable capacitors? They too look completely without corrosion.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 5:48 pm 

greenstar wrote:
It's nice for sure. I would vote for it being a recent construction to an original plan. It's very shiny and new inside, even the brass screws and copper. Surely they would be near black if original. Also, the panel is engraved, but there no manufacturer's name - isn't that inconsistent? Hinges look new, and looks like someone has just varnished the wood and got a bit on a hinge - they would be tarnished if 100 yrs old. Has somebody made the variable capacitors? They too look completely without corrosion.

Guess I would have to agree, as well.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 6:52 pm 

mrx wrote:
greenstar wrote:

Guess I would have to agree, as well.

My thoughts also, possibly a NOS kit that someone built (quite nicely at that), and then put into a cabinet that is stained to simulate an old piece.

It's a very nice set !!

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 8:07 pm 

Sorry guys I don't agree.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 11:55 pm 

I think it was factory made even if it doesn't have a name on it. It must have lived in a clean environment all its life. Nothing stays that nice in Texas, there's too much sulpher in the air. Here's a picture of the ABC coils using the resistor clips for mounting and pivots:
Attachment:
ABC.jpg
ABC.jpg [ 239.19 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]

Jay

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 11:57 pm 

JnTX wrote:
I think it was factory made even if it doesn't have a name on it. It must have lived in a clean environment all its life. Nothing stays that nice in Texas, there's too much sulpher in the air. Here's a picture of the ABC coils using the resistor clips for mounting and pivots:
Attachment:
ABC.jpg

Jay

Nice photo !! That's pretty conclusive evidence that the coils and mounts are correct.

PostPosted: May Tue 18, 2021 1:36 am 

Thanks, looking at those Chelsea transformers and all the radios I have that need them made me cry like a baby. Now I have to replace my keyboard because all those tears shorted it out! Nice find though, LOL!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next